LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boulderhead's Rover Journal

Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Fun weekend coming up

Got a pile of goodies from Atlantic British for 100K service. New pads and rotors on all corners, accessory belts, spark plugs, transmission pan, filter, and fluid. The two piece transmission filter kit makes the job seem a ton easier than previously demonstrated.

Should be a good weekend!

The following users liked this post:
AtlanticBritish (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must have been a good week for AB since that looks almost identical to the order I just received on Wednesday! I did have to order a new radiator as well though so we will see how that goes since I cant really find a how-to for that... Let us know how the transmission service goes since I will probably be tackling that next weekend along with the radiator (doing them both at the same time since it looks like my transmission cooler line is leaking as well)

Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by outdoorsdad
Must have been a good week for AB since that looks almost identical to the order I just received on Wednesday! I did have to order a new radiator as well though so we will see how that goes since I cant really find a how-to for that... Let us know how the transmission service goes since I will probably be tackling that next weekend along with the radiator (doing them both at the same time since it looks like my transmission cooler line is leaking as well)
Will do! I had been holding out on the trans service and super happy they came out with the two piece pan and filter setup. Going to tackle brakes, plugs, and belts first and will do trans last.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I would say they were about due to be changed. I had some challenges getting to the rear plug on the drivers side and made a short video of what worked for me. Some smaller extensions probably let you get in without doing what I did. Got brakes done as well, fronts were def ready to be changed, but the rears prob didn't need to be changed. Oh well, good to go for another 50K.

Accessory belt service was really easy. Big thanks to AB for the training videos they do and all the extra tips that make things go extra smooth.

Last edited by Boulderhead; 06-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.
AtlanticBritish (06-13-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Pan is out

Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling

New filter and pan pan are in, fluid topped off and no leaks. The hardest part was getting the plastic housing back into the top of the trans housing.

Make good note on the way you take the pan out (which way you twist). It goes back in the same way.. but if you try and reverse the twist you are in for a wrestling match.

Watch the AB install video a few times and have it handy when you do this service and I would say it's doable for most DIY wrenchers. It took me just over 4 hours to do this in my driveway using ramps.

Last edited by Boulderhead; 06-11-2017 at 11:33 AM.
AtlanticBritish (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boulderhead, nice journal! I just got my first LR3, which is similar to yours. It's about ready for the 90k mile maintenance and I was planning to do everything except the transmission fluid. After reading your experience, it seems like it should be doable!

Does the new two piece pan eliminate the need to disconnect the catalytic converters and jack up the transmission?

I'll definitely be following your journal! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ethan777
Boulderhead, nice journal! I just got my first LR3, which is similar to yours. It's about ready for the 90k mile maintenance and I was planning to do everything except the transmission fluid. After reading your experience, it seems like it should be doable!

Does the new two piece pan eliminate the need to disconnect the catalytic converters and jack up the transmission?

I'll definitely be following your journal! Thanks!
Hey Ethan, thanks for the kind words my friend. You need to do a lot less with the two piece pan and filter setup. I undid one bolt that holds the transfer case to the cross member and jacked it up just an inch to get extra clearance to put the pan back in. I would say for anyone that is capable of changing brakes on this, you can definitely tackle the pan / fluid job.

Make sure to watching the video from AB a handful of times to get familiar with the steps, that way when you are under the rig you feel more comfortable.

ethan777 (06-14-2017)
Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Things have been great until just a couple months ago I started getting suspension faults. I did what I could without an IIDTool (not much) and finally got myself one.

I’m getting the same issue described here with temp sensor voltage being below threshold. I plan on putting some dialectic grease on the connections.. but does anyone know if an aftermarket AMK compressor can be serviced to resolve this?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...n-fault-88397/