LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake and More

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and More

Hi All -

I'm very new to the LR3 forum. My wife has a 2005 LR3 and I'm going to be doing some work on it. I'm very comfortable around cars ( I work on my BMW E46 quite a bit), but I do have some questions when it comes to the LR3. Appreciate all of your comments and help. Feel free to refer me to any other threads if necessary.

Topic: I'll be replacing all of my rotors and pads. Potentially my e-brake shoes and even the e-brake actuator.

Question 1: Best jacking points - ok I'm sure this is an easy one, but I just couldn't find any recommendations on the best, most secure point for jacking when lifting one tire at a time. I prefer to get a jack stand underneath to free up the jack to securely hold up my calipers during the brake job.

Q2: Product recommendation??? What is best? I don't want to spend too much but any thoughts on slotted/cross drilled? EDC seems to be quite popular. Also, I want to ensure I get everything I need. The obvious: 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads. I believe I should be replaceing the "screw" that is quite a pain to get off - can't recall the name but its the screw on the outside of the rotor that might require an impact drill to remove. Any other special considerations such as clips, sprays, anything? I like to make sure I have EVERYTHING before starting a DIY, which leads to my next question.

Q3: Anyone know a good (with pictures) DIY for replacing rotors and pads. I've heard its quite easy to do and you can even avoid bleeding by using a c-clamp (with old pads) to push the cylinders back in.

Other potential DIY - E-brake shoes and Actuator

So I've found that its not uncommon for LR3 owners to have issues with the E-brake Actuator, i.e. horribly grinding noise when trying to engage it, failure to disengage, and just in general a big PITA. We've resorted to no longer using the parking brake since last time it would not disengage even after trying to pull the emergency release cable.

Q4: So first, how hard are the shoes to replace? Seems like a reasonable DIY for when I'm doing the rear brakes. Anyone have a DIY perhaps?

Q5: Second, the Actuator - this is most likely the culprit. Is there anyway to tell if its bad or simply needs adjustments? My local dealership suggest replacing it but that's all they offer as insight. Is this a reasonable DIY for a handy person? Is there a good DIY out there?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Jon

Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 SE, assume it doesn't have much undercarriage difference..

Originally Posted by jondean74
Question 1: Best jacking points
Frame spars just in front of where the body comes down to the lower rails. Everywhere else seems to be too tight for stands or at enough of an angle i view it risky.

Q2: Product recommendation???
I got my stuff at Napa, rotors, brake pads and pad-wear sensors. I did not destroy the bolt retaining the disc to the axle. It takes some muscle to break it loose, but I was able to do all four without damaging it.

Q3: Anyone know a good (with pictures) DIY for replacing rotors and pads. I've heard its quite easy to do and you can even avoid bleeding by using a c-clamp (with old pads) to push the cylinders back in.
For $20 you can go to Checker or AutoZone and pick up a caliper wrench. Basically a flat peice of metal with a screw through it, metal plunger on one end and a 5-point star handle on the other end. I use it for the LR3 and my SuperDuty.

Other potential DIY - E-brake shoes and Actuator

So I've found that its not uncommon for LR3 owners to have issues with the E-brake Actuator, i.e. horribly grinding noise when trying to engage it, failure to disengage, and just in general a big PITA. We've resorted to no longer using the parking brake since last time it would not disengage even after trying to pull the emergency release cable.
Can't say, don't have this issue.

Q4: So first, how hard are the shoes to replace? Seems like a reasonable DIY for when I'm doing the rear brakes. Anyone have a DIY perhaps?
I don't, but if you're familiar with doing disc brakes in general, it'll be no problem. Only new thing for me was the disc retaining bolt and the pad-wear sensors (minor, in retrospect).

Q5: Second, the Actuator - this is most likely the culprit. Is there anyway to tell if its bad or simply needs adjustments? My local dealership suggest replacing it but that's all they offer as insight. Is this a reasonable DIY for a handy person? Is there a good DIY out there?
Can't say, haven't done it.