LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metallicpea
I could not find one. That was my first approach as my compressor locked up. But if you have a good bearing in the pulley, you just need to cut or knock out the breakaway features on the pulley center so you can use the old compressor as the a/c delete to let the pulley free spin on the unit - never driving the center shaft. Anyway, my used compressor cost less than a delete bracket would.
It's been awhile, but if I recall correctly, you can remove the front two all the way, then completely unthread the rear one, but you won't be able to remove it until you pull the compressor away from the mounting and repositon it to get the bolt out. So in reverse you have to put that bolt into the compressor before you get it fully into place and reinstall the front two.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravhefen
Has anyone replaced their a/c compressor on an LR3? Any tips? Can't seem to find much on the web.
I purchased a new one but can't seem to get at the old one to replace it. I know the power steering pump needs to be moved out of the way to get to it, but I can't seem to even be able to do that.

Help for a DIY-er.
I replaced mine a few years ago. Well... I tried to replace mine. It's pretty buried and hard to get to without the right tools. I tried for days, and got so frustrated I ended up taking it to a shop.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravhefen
I replaced mine a few years ago. Well... I tried to replace mine. It's pretty buried and hard to get to without the right tools. I tried for days, and got so frustrated I ended up taking it to a shop.

Best of luck to you.
Correct, this is not straightforward and the access is terrible. If you even think you might get frustrated with it then you certainly will. Not fun at all.