LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Open Rear Door/Bottom Gate

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't Open Rear Door/Bottom Gate

I have been searching for a while on this but I haven't seen a problem like this yet. I have replaced the commonly failing latch mechanism. When I hold down my Lock/Unlock buttons on the dash, the latch will activate. Considering this, I know that I am getting power to the door.

When I activate the button from the outside I get no response. After getting the top door opened, I also get no response from the button on the bottom gate. Both bottom latch actuators seem to be in working order but neither is getting a response from the button.

I am getting power to the subwoofer in the bottom gate and to the brake light in the top door. I have tried to find the fuse for the door functions but I am having no luck.

If anyone has any idea on how to regain access to my rear compartment I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Since you can get the top open, reach in and flip up the silver hooks on each side. Part of the latch. See if that will get you to lower the bottom. That solution was posted here about a month ago.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e-stuck-97601/

Once that is done you can open it up and repair the cable end or replace it.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get to that point. Although this method is easier than the method I had taken so thank you for that. The cable release mechanism for the top door is working but the only way to activate it is by forcing the latch at the front console (holding the lock and unlock buttons for 3 seconds). Have you been able to find any videos regarding the lack of power to the bottom gate switch and the exterior switch? Do those switches need to be replaced?

When I have time I will attempt to take photos of the points that I am referring to.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Check fuses?

They switches can go bad. Seems the upper more often than the bottom though. Best to test for power. You can use a 12v light as an indicator when activating.