Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Passenger Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Driver Side Passenger Door Won't Open

I'm hoping someone has an idea for this. My Driver Side Passenger Door will not open. I can see the lock and unlock work fine, but neither handle, inside or out, will open the door.

I finally got the door panel off, which is not easy with the door closed, and I cannot see anything else that helps. I am able to move all of the levers and bars just fine, but nothing unlatches the door.

This started after I bought two door latch mechanisms off eBay because previously both doors would only unlock from the inside handle, then they would not lock from the remote unless I pressed it twice (Super Lock). That worried me that I'd get locked out, so I bought replacement locks. Tested them before installing and both locked and unlocked, and open and closed.

After installing them, this door worked for a day, then stopped working.

Any way to get the latch to release??? Please help.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I had this happen to me on my right rear passenger door. I got the door panel off and still couldnt get to the latch release.....so you need to take out the black window insert/guide on the top inside door, then you can take a loooonnnnnnggggggg bar or screwdriver and wedge it down inside the door frame and window (very carefully) and rest it on the release tab, then take a hammer and pop the latch mechanizm down and your latch should release. Something like that anyway. It worked for me

Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I had this happen to me on my right rear passenger door. I got the door panel off and still couldnt get to the latch release.....so you need to take out the black window insert/guide on the top inside door, then you can take a loooonnnnnnggggggg bar or screwdriver and wedge it down inside the door frame and window (very carefully) and rest it on the release tab, then take a hammer and pop the latch mechanizm down and your latch should release. Something like that anyway. It worked for me
Thank you for your reply, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. What does the release latch look like? What am I aiming for? I've got a spare latch out of the door, but cannot find anything to release it other than the normal release.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Got It!!!

Thank you for the idea. I pulled the seal from the outside of the door and stuck the top of a fishing pole down there. Kept at it and finally hit something that released it.

Now, to swap parts from one latch to another to create a complete working latch.

Thank you again @Motorhead1 !!!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome. I couldnt remember which seal to remove off the top of my head, but you figured it out. The window has to have some give in order to get a tool (of choice) down in there and fish around.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Awesome. I couldnt remember which seal to remove off the top of my head, but you figured it out. The window has to have some give in order to get a tool (of choice) down in there and fish around.
Yeah, the fishing pole end worked perfectly. It was flexible enough to move around, but still firm enough to be able to push down. Doors all working again.