LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start and I just hear click but eventually starts on multiple tries

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start and I just hear click but eventually starts on multiple tries

Hello-

When I try to start my car and turn the key all I hear is click and car won't start. Rest of the dash lights and radio comes on as expected but the car does not startup except the click sound. If I keep trying it would eventually start. I thought it was a battery so I had it replaced but the issue is still not resolved. Any ideas?

The car is 2008 LR3 with 84k miles bought brand new 6 years ago and it never had any issues until recently when it started giving me a few issues.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by amer_qureshi
Hello-

When I try to start my car and turn the key all I hear is click and car won't start. Rest of the dash lights and radio comes on as expected but the car does not startup except the click sound. If I keep trying it would eventually start. I thought it was a battery so I had it replaced but the issue is still not resolved. Any ideas?

The car is 2008 LR3 with 84k miles bought brand new 6 years ago and it never had any issues until recently when it started giving me a few issues.
Nope not battery, if it was the battery you'd have enough current for the solenoid contacts to engage and thus kill your remaining systems (lights would flicker out, you'd have error lights, voltage would drop to ~10 and lower).

Or if it was super dead nothing would even turn on, ie. ignition pos. on key wouldn't turn on hvac, radio, vehicle system etc.

You've got a dead starter (more specifically, starter solenoid.. ) from my experiences so far, the contacts aren't conductive anymore in certain (totally random) situations.. based on the amount of pressure on the contacts.

When it does engage correctly and with enough conductivity, you'll crank over like it's new. When it starts having problems, it usually sticks around for a while (ie. few days).

I've only had my LR3 for a few weeks but this has already happened to me and I've diagnosed it as such.. though I did own an 06 RRS for 3 years prior as well.

LR sells a solenoid repair kit however I can get a starter from NAPA for ~110 so I haven't even bothered looking up my cost on the solenoid kit since it's almost guaranteed to be more than a new NAPA starter. Same labor to R&R starter PLUS taking starter apart for solenoid repair PLUS the fact that you've got 8 year old starter motor components in there versus new NAPA ones....... I say just go that route.

I'm driving the DII for the next couple weeks so I can make sure I don't neglect her, but when I hop back in the LR3 I'll be tackling the starter. Apparently it's a serious PITA to replace.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the voltage in the battery terminals just for kicks anyway.

It does sound like the starter though.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Default Clicking sound when trying to start my LR3

Hi Guys. Thank you for the info here as it has helped me on many occasions. I had a similar clicking sound when trying to start my disco 3 2006. The first place I checked was the 450 amp fuse on the positive terminal of the battery and low and behold it was broken. I bridged the gap and the vehicle started first time and has been starting ever since. I am still using my vehicle while I find this very large fuse. Fortunately for this forum I checked that first before having the starter checked and all the expenses of taking the landy in. Thanks guys.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:01 PM
5th Gear
Default Classic spark plug or CRS issue

My car did exactly the same thing. Turns our the spark plugs needed replacing. If that doesn't work for you then try replacing crankshaft positioning sensor ($70). Its an easy fix. Don't let the mechanics roll you over.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

The LR3 should never get in a state where spark plugs would cause the starter solenoid to engage, but no starter action. That would literally be the weirdest thing ever. I don't even see how that would be possible given that the engine is not even turning over....

Old 06-08-2022, 08:51 AM
4th Gear
Default 2001 Discovery 11

Hi..Where abouts is this fuse please? I have a 2001 discovery 2 4ltr Petrol. It's been running like a dream until one day it wouldn't start. The lights come on the dash and when i turn the key,all I can hear
is the replay clicking. One day I kept turning the key and it started. I'm wondering if it a loose connection or the 450 fuse. It's been a nightmare.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

This is the LR3 forum.