Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter issue? Knock sound when trying to start my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue? Knock sound when trying to start my Disco

My 2000 disco wont start. When I turn the key all dash lights light up but it wont start or even make a sound like its going to turn over. All I get is a single KNOCK sound. It makes the sound one time but no ignition.

I replaced the starter and my truck started right up but only worked for a day. Now I am right back where I started as my new starter makes the same "KNOCK" sound when I turn the key as my old starter...

I did just get my truck back from the shop where they replaced the head gasket. Is it possible that they wired something wrong and its not a starter issue at all?

Could my new starter be bad? Its a reconditioned one from Autozone or could it be that its just connected wrong?

Sure could use some help trouble shooting this. Not sure what to do other than take my new starter back and try a new one again..

Last edited by Buzzwalburg; 01-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How long did the truck start after the head gasket was done?
A day? A month?
I very well could be a bad starter again, I went through 4 rebuilt alternators in 2 years.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your speedy response. Once I got the truck back from the shop it only worked for a day. When I put the new starter in, it only worked for a day as well

Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Don't suspect HG work - after all, you say a replacement starter operated and truck ran for a day. So that is thousands of engine revolutions. A left over socket or bolt would have shown up...

2. Might want to double check the battery terminals, battery volts (don't care if battery is just a year old), and frame ground conections for battery, plus starter wiring. Fuse link 13 in the under hood box runs the starter solenoid. The actual starter motor is switched by the solenoid, and that is a direct un-fused cable to (+) battery terminal. You can also try swapping the starter relay in the underhood fusebox. You can also remove that rlay, and put a wire jumper on the correct pins of the base and manually trigger the starter, to see if it is some other electrical gremlin. Drawing from RAVE service manual attached.

3. Yep, could be time to take it back to Autozone.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cranking.pdf (596.9 KB, 72 views)