LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carshield Powertrain for high mileage LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:56 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carshield Powertrain for high mileage LR3

I upgraded from 1996 Disco I to 2008 LR3 HSE last year, and have been loving the ride and capabilities of the LR3. I now have 181800 miles on it and was getting nervous about imminent powertrain issues. I haven't had many issues since owning the LR3 for a year, but know that high mileage on these rigs can get $$$ quickly. So last week, I bought an extended powertrain policy on it from Carshield. It sure sounds like a no brainer thing to do with LR3s, especially since I want to keep driving this as long as I can. I don't take it off roading, but pull my 17' Arima from May - Nov. Has anyone had experience with Carshield? I feel a little more peace of mind knowing powertrain issues will be paid for after $200 deductibles vs all cash $$$ for the repairs.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Cancel it. Research the reviews on Yelp. Research on BBB website. Also several videos on Youtube explaining the issues with this company. Also, try to find local repair shops who have had good experiences with Carshield. Ask your trusted local mechanic to study the contract, and then explain to you everything that is not covered.

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Thanks @nevillusa for the tip. I'm going to. My brother in law is a mechanic and I asked him what's realistically covered vs marketing promises. He wasn't too upbeat on the coverage unless a major repair can be covered. I also called and talke to claims asking if they would cover timing belt/dsg services on my sportwagen and was told it wouldn't be covered because it was routine maintenance. That makes sense and clarifies these policies better. Back to just saving for repairs and looking for good local LR mechanic.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

There really aren't too many things to worry about, anyway. Make sure you keep oil and water in the engine (get rid of that bleeder valve); maintenance on the EAS isn't bad if you stay on top of it. Lower Control Arms, sure....brakes....etc.

What are you really worried about? Put your would-be premiums (or up front cost) in a separate Maintenance Account and pay out of pocket, you'll be fine.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
There really aren't too many things to worry about, anyway. Make sure you keep oil and water in the engine (get rid of that bleeder valve); maintenance on the EAS isn't bad if you stay on top of it. Lower Control Arms, sure....brakes....etc.

What are you really worried about? Put your would-be premiums (or up front cost) in a separate Maintenance Account and pay out of pocket, you'll be fine.
My disco 1 was a rock. That beast would just keep going no matter what I threw at it. I’m just getting used to LR3 with so much more electronics, suspensions, etc. so much more needing repairs. But my first year has been awesome! Towing the boat is much easier and more stable. I currently have check engine light for O2 sensor and brake light keeps flapping on/off since I replaced brake pads. I would be thrilled if this was last SUV I had to buy, but know I’ll need to learn how to service and maintain this easy to achieve that.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

Well you're in the right place. Spend some time reading on this forum and you'll know what you need to maintain it. By all accounts the LR3 is the most reliable Land Rover ever made. The electronics are not much to worry about; don't let water ingress get out of control. Like I said about the suspension, learn its nuances and how to maintain it. Early prevention can save many EAS compressors. Don't let your engine overheat.

I guess I'm saying that your fear is not based on any of the LR3's past reliability record. I'd also take the time to learn your vehicle's service history and make sure that all the bigger items have been accomplished.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

They're all a waste of money, cancel it.

No matter what they'll come up with some reason to deny any claim you make

As much as your Disco 1 was a rock, the LR3 is even more so. The 4.4L and ZF6 transmission combo is arguably the most reliable combo ever used by Land Rover

Last edited by Blackngold77; 03-15-2022 at 09:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackngold77:
Dai20bt (03-15-2022), houm_wa (03-16-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:34 PM
Drifting

That’s encouraging! The engine did overheat 3 months after I bought it while towing boat home. Turned it off immediately and had it towed home. Found out it was bad thermostat. Learned to replace it myself, pretty straightforward. LR3’s been running great since. Thanks and look forward to making the most of this amazing rig!

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (03-16-2022)