LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling and Trans fluid maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cooling and Trans fluid maintenance questions

Hi, I've put in a search for these 2 questions I have in mind but have not come up with good results. Maybe senior members and shop owners can put in their 2 cents in on the matter.

Question 1 - Is there an advantage to replacing the stock clutch fan with a electric fan with thermostat control? Everytime my clutch fan engages, I can feel a drag on power on the engine. Also, will an electric fan cause chaos on the LR3's computer system?

Question 2 - Trans fluid service - Is it advisable to perform a reverse flush system on the trans fluid instead of replacing the filter system and all related labor cost associated with it? I used to have it done on our Denali wherein they push the old fluid out by pumping new fluid in through one side of the cooling line and the old fluid is sucked out through the other side cooling line with the use of the recovery machine like they use with refrigerants.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I can semi help on question 2
The answer depends on your trust of what's built up in the old tranny. I personally got my LR3 with 167k miles and I do not trust the build up in the valve bodies in there enough to do a flush. I will just drain and replace filter and that'll be it for me. The vehicle or tranny will die before I need to do it again lol

If it had 120k or less, I'd flush it. I would still change the filter and pan to the new style

Old 05-31-2017, 11:47 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Currently, it has 120+k miles and dealer I bought it from months ago said that they had all services done but you know how that goes. I did the pan/filter change on my FFRR before so I'm more inclined in doing the same with the LR3 since they have the same eng/trans combination but was curious to see how other LR3 owners felt.

Originally Posted by zoltan7
I can semi help on question 2
The answer depends on your trust of what's built up in the old tranny. I personally got my LR3 with 167k miles and I do not trust the build up in the valve bodies in there enough to do a flush. I will just drain and replace filter and that'll be it for me. The vehicle or tranny will die before I need to do it again lol

If it had 120k or less, I'd flush it. I would still change the filter and pan to the new style