LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Not Permitted

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default shift assembly part number UCB500072

I did find the part number for the shift assembly and it appears I am correct re no replaceable parts. The links below are for the assembly.

The lastest part number appears to be UCB500072.

LAND ROVER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL GEAR SHIFT UCB500072 OEM NEW | Miami British

UCB500072 | CONTROL ASSY - GEAR SHIFT | Land Rover | | Britcar (UK) Ltd

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you "bbyer". I will not attempt busting the unit open, as I had to remind myself that this is only about a light that comes on sometimes in error. Functionality of the unit is perfect. So, with that said, I won't take the chance of doing someing I cannot undo.
I will go for the electrical cleaner spray, cycle through the gears, and see what happens.
Report to come over the weekend.
Cheers,

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Default probably wise

I think that is wise. As best I can determine, as long as the display on the dash is OK, the tranny is getting the correct info as it is the tranny that tells the dash display what is going on.

The console switches transmit the drivers desires to the transmission electronic control unit, the TECU tells the tranny what to do, and the tranny reports back to the dash display - that is how I see it anyway.

You might also check the operation of the manual downshift function - that is where you suck the gear lever left into that short slot and then rock back on the gear level handle and the D on the dash display changes to some number such as 4,3 or 2 etc and you feel the tranny downshift.

I expect it is all working fine.

We will be interested in hearing more.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Default dial a drive

I figured out how you can quickly resolve the shifter concern - buy a new 2014 LR4. I was at the dealer today and they have a new 2014 in the showroom.

Along with the key, the shifter stick thingy is also gone - no, it is not on the steering column, it just is gone. Apparently the target market is the upscale soccer Mom, (well at 90 thousand plus, her or hubby best be upscale). Market research has shown that Madame's purse tended to tangle in the shifter; hence shifter be gone, and now the console is a great place for her purse.

The sales person seemed to indicate that once you sign the finance papers, you get some sort of implant, hence you just climb in, mumble something like Getty Up and away you go. As for stopping, I did not get that far. There is still a steering wheel so I guess one still has to be bothered by that.

The engine still has spark plugs, but only six of them on the HSE now, (no SE either). Less is more I gather, as the new smaller 3.0L engine, (same as on the new 2014 RR Sport), is supposed to go farther than our 4.4L or the 5.0L of previous.

Ah, maybe you should just replace the shifter rather than your 3.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

LR4 is not in the cards for me. I love my 3!
Pulled it all apart today (getting really good at this) and soaked many different areas in and around the shift unit, and cycled it many times P through D. Time will tell, but I am not convinced I got the cleaner in the right spot. It is impossible to tell where those DAMN contacts are buried.
Anyway I will let you know in a day or so if all is same or fixed.
Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Default so dial a drive lacks appeal

I am not surprised you will remain with your 3; the more I look at the 4's the better my 3 looks as well; paid for helps of course.

I thought LR might put that Ford V6 Ecotec engine in the latest 4 but some hopped up 3 litre, I am puzzled.

As to the disappearance of the shifter, I figure that is just a fad; kind of like radios with no *****. The ***** are returning along with analogue clocks so we just have to go thru this no gear shifter phase.

As to where the contacts or whatever are inside the shifter, good question. The wiring diagram kind of shows the LED lights, (B113), but really does not hint at any sort of switch or contacts other than that connector C2658 feeding connector pins 11 to 14 and maybe connector C2790, connector pins 1 to 4.

There is apparently a printed circuit board, T331, inside that is some sort of position sensor but I think that is the upshift / downshift sensor, not a tell a light to turn red instructor - in fact one wonders if there are say 4 LEDs in there that when a different voltage get applied to them, then the LED turns from white to red; if so, this gets more tricky as a computer or at least a pcb may be instructing the light colour changes. That is what LR does on the dash where yellow warning lights turn red as the severity of the condition changes; hence it would be no surprise to see the same thinking in the shifter. That is why new, the 4's run $90,000 and more and when we are repairing our 3, it is still a 90 thousand dollar vehicle to fix.