LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII owner took the plunge. Sold my Mustang tonight, LR3 soon - opinions on 2 vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the tip Mack, the first thing I do will be to swap out fluids for some good stuff. Have people taken the cover off and sanded it off or anything? I HATE the "ticking time bomb" feeling, as I'm experiencing that with my DIIs front driveshaft (I'm imagining vibrations sometimes, turning stereo off.. etc. Usually just the road lol).

Perkj, I appreciate your help I'll pm ya in a second, yeah my dealer hate that stuff... the parts guys give a fit just looking up a single item.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM

Perkj, I appreciate your help I'll pm ya in a second, yeah my dealer hate that stuff... the parts guys give a fit just looking up a single item.
Good news! One of the 3 you sent does have the HD Package....see the PM I sent ya.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip Mack, the first thing I do will be to swap out fluids for some good stuff. Have people taken the cover off and sanded it off or anything? I HATE the "ticking time bomb" feeling, as I'm experiencing that with my DIIs front driveshaft (I'm imagining vibrations sometimes, turning stereo off.. etc. Usually just the road lol).
Don't worry about it THAT much - it isn't as bad a problem as that is. Some have the problem some don't. I don't think you can really sand anything off to make a difference - I believe the coating was applied to the entire housing.

Just change the fluid on a regular basis and you should be fine. If it does happen, well then that is life - oh and you will have plenty of warning and time to prepare. The humming will get louder and louder. This isn't a catastrophic disaster fail that destroys other high $$ parts.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the info - do you know if the HD locking rear diff has this issue? Would seem that it was a different unit entirely but who knows.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info - do you know if the HD locking rear diff has this issue? Would seem that it was a different unit entirely but who knows.
Diff issues effect both the open and locking AND both front and rear. The issue is due to the coating they used on the internal housing flaking off and ruining the bearings. As stated earlier the best way to avoid it happening is to change the diff fluids yearly or every 15K.