LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable EPB Module via GapIID

Old 11-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Disable EPB Module via GapIID

I've been waiting for black friday to buy the GapIID, and have just placed my order. On my list of things to do is deal with a long-time parking brake issue.
I opened the EPB module months ago to fix a long-time jammed mechanism. In the process, being the gorilla I am, I broke the force sensor portion of the module. Nothing else is broken, just the force sensor. With the parking brake jammed and not re-latched, prior to my "fix", I was getting the flashing red parking brake light and a chime when I started the truck. This was very annoying. Since I could not relatch the EPB module, I experimented with shorting different pins together on the force sensor to at least get the red light to go away. I managed to short two pins on the ribbon cable and get rid of the red light and chime at the expense of having the yellow parking brake light be on (though without the chime). At the same time I got a new "Engine system failure" message, however the vehicle runs and drives no problems
It is not worth it to me to replace the EPB module. The LR3 is driven rarely and mostly backroads. I would now like to disable the EPB module completely so that the computer thinks all is good in the world. I emailed Gap customer service, who promptly replied that they did not know if anyone had tried and were not sure. I ask here now if anybody with a Gap or with more knowledge of the systems would have an idea how to fix this?
Here's hoping! Thanks for any help.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Engine system failure - Would that really be related to the EPB? I had my EPB fuse pulled for a year and never got that message. Finally got around to adjusting the EPB and all is well.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I was surpised to get that warning message as well from an EPB. However, that is all that changed when the message appeared. Once the GAP arrives I'll verify the source

Last edited by delormea397; 11-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

I would pull all codes first just to see what's up before modifying/clearing things. Defiantly keep us updated.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I wish I knew, please post up what you learn as some day it could be me lol

Old 11-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm not even sure where to start looking at how to disable the EPB warning lights. Even if the engine system fault is unrelated, I would like to clear the yellow EPB light.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

In my experience the GAP tool will not accomplish this.

the only real option is to fix it properly. But, it would be nice to be proven wrong on this one.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Hello all,

An update, since I have received the GapIID. I checked all faults, and came up with one that showed on several ECUs. "U0128-87 (2F) Lost communication with parking brake control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message"
I suspect this is from my quick-fix last year to get away from the flashing red parking brake light and "bong" every time the car started. To recap from above, I had removed a ribbon cable in the EPB module and shorted two wires, since the force sensor had snapped. My presumption now is that I fixed the fault that was showing and essentially disconnected the EPB from the the canbus.

My hope now, is that somehow through the car configuration files I can disable the EPB module and clear this fault. Would anyone have experience with altering the CCF or disabling a module? Gap wasn't able to help, and simply stated that nobody had attempted before and they weren't sure.

The other fault that come up in regards to a airbag light was B0002-1B (AF) Driver's frontal stage 2 - deployment control - General electrical failure - circuit resistance above threshold. I have checked the drivers side connection under the seat. I suspect it's the clock spring and will test the live values when rotating the steering wheel as per a jaguar procedure I found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56426-3820.pdf

Thanks,

Old 12-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Good luck appreciate the update as I know myself and others would love to know there is a way to disable the EPB

Old 12-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I saw in the gap user manual a section about hex codes, showing one binary options unit that specified whether or not a MIL was requested or not. I'm wondering if there's a similar option in the CCF files. I think I'll need an engineer to help with that though, or someone from Gap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable EPB Module via GapIID