LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency park brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Emergency park brake issues

Gents, need some advice on an emergency parking brake issue. I was coming down a mountain the other day and emergency brake started actuating . Eventually pulled over try to release the parking brake the manual system. It's now with my independent telling me that it is the emergency parking brake module shoes the whole kit and caboodle. Do you think this is accurate?. He said the modul goes for upwards of $600. My research says looks correct.

Other piece of this; he did my rear rotors four weeks ago. Did he cause the issue somehow ?

The dash had a flashing and a constant e brake warning signal if that matters.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear EPB shoes (inside the disk/drum) do need adjustment from time to time otherwise they could jam on (nothing to do with the actuator module as such). If the shoes aren't correctly adjusted then this can put a strain on the actuator which might lead it to jam/fail. Did you use the EPB regularly before coming down the mountain and after you had the rear rotors touched ? Was there any excessive noise at that time ? Sometimes the rear shoes delaminate and get jammed/wedged against the inner drum - this makes getting the drums/rotor off a bit of a game....the module might still be okay once new shoes are in place and adjusted.

For all things brake related I can recommend this owners guide here

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Bodsy's Brake Bible

A lot of owners have maintained their own and saved $$$$ by following this...

Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use the epb that often unless I'm under the car. Like I mentioned, the same guy did the rear pads and rotors not more than four weeks ago.

Knowing all the epb is under there, guess my question is if there is a chance he messed w something, or if it was just my time.

Since it came back from him last go-around(not immediately) the car had been doing it. Headed down the road and all of a sudden it feels like I hit a moose, but it would immediately release.

The most recent instance essentially felt like the epb would come on, then off. Mix of crunching sounds. I'm sure the shoes were obliterated.

In my effort to turn the brake off i hit the control and would hear the actuator....but nothing would happen. The actuator would go on for about 20 seconds before turning off.

In summary; he says need new actuator and shoes, etc. Says rotors (were brand new) are ok. He says they can be used.

Thoughts ?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my emergency parking brake activate at 80 mph on the interstate. Almost flipped it as it sent me careening into the other lanes. Thankfully no one else was around. My indy shop quoted me about the same for repair and replacement. I trust my indy guy very much but just dont have the 600 right now so Im going without the parking brake since I rarely if ever use it. Eventually Ill get around to getting it done but not on the top of the list....

Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 462 Likes on 413 Posts

WTF? Can you please describe in detail what happened? I have activated the EPB at speed and the vehicle was extremely controllable. Not sure how you could have almost flipped it.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine activated at speed on the interstate as well. I just had all four corners replaced...pads and rotors. I took it to the dealer since they were close by. They discovered the activation was caused by misrouting of the EPB wiring. 130 bucks for diagnosis and no issues since. I mention this since the OP just had his brakes done.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my post from a different thread on the parking brake disaster...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...y-61901/page4/

I hit the surface street giant pot hole at about 30 mph 3 blocks from the house. It blew the tire but I made it home. Went to change tire to the full size spare but the factory kit had the wrong size wrench so no go on changing the tire. Im moving and all of my tools were 400 miles away. AAA comes and changes the tire to the spare.

It didnt occur to me to have the spare balanced before driving the 400 miles to get my stuff including my tools. The 400 mile drive includes traversing the continental divide and Vail Pass. So after a few hours of driving with unbalanced tire my Rover was not happy. Well coming down the pass at 80 mph the parking brake decides to activate. What made it scary was only one side engaged! It immediately and unexpectedly took me from the lane I was in, across the other lane, and into the shoulder before I could regain control. No amount of Jimmy Buffet on Sirius was able to slow my heart rate!

After I got the courage to SLOWLY continue the drive i could hear a horrible rattle coming from the wheel and Rover came up with parking brake fault. Um ya the worst parking brake fault ever!!!

So I took Rover to JC's for help. Best we could figure out was between monster pot hole and unbalanced spare the parking brake drum was horribly out of alignment and rubbing. Add that to hours of mountain driving and it became super heated, momentarily activate, and then the pad ripped off in the assembly.

The whole thing is beyond my mechanical ability to fix. Haha pretty much beyond my ability to understand too. I just did my first DIY oil change which felt pretty good so that should give you an idea of my mechanical ability haha

I still love my Rover but we hit a bit of a pot hole in our relationship!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 462 Likes on 413 Posts

Wow; thanks for the write-up. The fact that only one side engaged kind of explains the lack of control. Yikes...hope all is rectified now.

Why was your spare unbalanced? Only time I ever put the spare on directly from the factory was after popping a Goodyear HP on a trail; replaced it an carried on without issue. The spare I have on now was a tire that was previously in service on the "1st team" rotation. So, I know it's balanced. Unless a weight comes off (maybe on a trail) I don't see why the spare wouldn't be balanced.

Last edited by houm_wa; 10-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.