LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Parking Brake (EPB) / Service Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Parking Brake (EPB) / Service Mode

2008 LR3

Earlier this year I had the EPB clip pins fail and the calipers were banging around inside the rear L rotor. I removed the parking brake assembly at that time. A few months later the R side went, same thing... I talked to my dealer and the quote was over $800. Unfortunately I could not afford the cost of replacement at the time, but I asked if it would be OK to drive without them in the meantime and was told this should not cause any problems. I Recently ordered the new parts from Atlantic British to replace them myself.

I began the Install today but I can't get the EPB into service mode... Is it possible to put it in service mode after the parts have been removed or does there need to be tension on the cable? It is likely that at some point while there were no parking brakes installed that the electronic lever was lifted up ('engaging' the brake)... This may have been done inadvertently by my wife at some point (it's her daily driver) and I also suspect that the dealer service shop tech did it unknowingly while it was in for AC work last month. Anyway, I have attempted to install as is but cannot get the large spring on as the gap is too big with the brake cable retracted.

Just to mention, I am aware that the brakes must be adjusted and calibrated and planned to take it to the dealer immediately after installing the new ones to have this done.

Last edited by TEX_Rover; 09-14-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
4th Gear
Default Nada?

I am pretty new to this forum but so far it seems like there is a pretty high activity/participation level... with that said I am a little worried as to why I havent recieved a single reply... nearly 50 views of this post but not even so much as an 'Im not really sure'.

I will have all the parts in hand by the weekend and am hoping to get this knocked out Saturday. Just hope I'm not SOL.

Please, any input is appreciated.

THanks.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Old post, did you find this info?
Need to do mine

Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Bodsy's Brake Bible

I assume that you are familiar with Bodsy's Brake Bible, a free 36 page pdf covering pretty much everything brake related on the 3.

If not, the link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible is as below:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Download and print the latest version; v1.6a has now over 10,500 downloads.

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Overlanding

2010 LR4 HSE, How do you put EPB into service mode? Is software/Diag software required? Has anyone pulled the rear drum on the 2010 LR4?

Stated in Brake Bible

Before removing the rear Brake disks, please carry out this sequence to put the Electronic Park Brake into Service Mode. Ensure brake pads and calliper is fitted to all wheels. In the car with ignition in Position II, press the brake pedal three times and hold the pedal down. Push down on the EPB switch for 3-5 seconds.
Go to the main fuse box in the engine bay and remove FL8 fuse 30A (pink Fuse) this will ensure that the EPB is not accidentally re-engaged.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Overlanding

Whatever..... I just did it. Replace pads and rotors all around. no service mode needed. b care full with e brake when in neutral and turning the stop button off, automatically activates e brake. tried to remove fuse but did nothing. Maybe I got the wrong one. Not that much different than any other truck.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Boxcars
b care full with e brake when in neutral and turning the stop button off, automatically activates e brake.
How did you get around this? I can't seem to get the vehicle to stay in neutral with the parking brake off :/

Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

For the original poster, if the EPB lever was pulled with the cables disconnected, it would try repeatedly to engage and might jam the EPB unit (between the rear wheels). An IID Tool or other diagnostic tools usually have the ability to tell the EPB unit to start an unjam routine. However, depending on how badly it is jammed (over-tightened is probably a better description), it may not work.

At that point, you can get a new EPB module ($$$) or there is a long thread on disco3.co.uk about how you can take it apart and (with a lot of force) unjam the motor, hopefully getting it back to working.

Service mode (or as it's called in the IID Tool, Mounting mode) is only able to be triggered through a diagnostic tool. I wasn't ever able to get it to work via button press sequences. In the IID Tool, for the LR3, you actually have to go into the I/O menu, not the Service menu, and change the status there from Latching to Mounting. It's not fully clear and it's a bit of an odd quirk with only the L319.

Both rear wheels need to be in the air so you can turn them to locate the knurl adjuster behind the brake disc to release the adjustment on the EPB brake shoes.

If you don't adjust the EPB as specified, it usually leads to a horrible squealing and eventual jam/overtightening of the EPB module later on, with a full lock up in extreme cases.

The following 3 users liked this post by djkronik57:
bbyer (08-29-2017), evsteroo (09-16-2020), oldandslow1 (07-19-2024)