LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Stock Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LR3 Stock Nav

In searching for an LR3 I thought that the nav option would be important to me. Then it occurred to me that you can get outstanding Garmin units for not as much as you might think. So, what does the factory nave do that a good Garmin wouldn't ?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Integration with the rest of the vehicle. Voice commands, 4x4 Info screen.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Convenience and aesthetics.

Its actually amazing when off road(finds every trail/long driveway) but so so to terrible around town.

You're talking about a decade old vehicle. I wasn't even looking for Nav but it just fell in my lap because I wanted the V8 and found an HSE.

The HSE comes with it I believe and the center console cooler is actually pretty useful and the stereo sounds great.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Integration is good - there are a surprising number of available voice commands. If you've got a lot of stuff going on, the integration is nice and kinda adds to overall situational awareness IMHO. It also prioritizes with bluetooth; ie. if you've got radio and nav going, the nav commands come through the front driver speakers. If you accept / make a bluetooth phone call, the nav commands get kicked back to the rear driver speakers and the phone call will move to the front driver speakers instead.

Usually I have my phone on to double check for quicker routes, but on road trips it doesn't matter - I still get a nice ETA and time to next exit, etc which is nice to have at a glance.

The screen gives you some other interesting features including off-road modes with topo maps, breadcrumb trails that you can save / store and re-load, altitude and GPS coordinates , compass, etc.

Terrain response is greatly enhanced with the addition of the LCD screen - again it's just situational awareness. Being able to visualize your upper and lower travel limits on every wheel at a glance is great. You can also tell at a glance, what each locking unit is doing, as well as your terrain response mode, HDC mode, transfer case mode, etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

2015-2016 update helps the OEM NAV out a lot.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Can we still utilize the nav-on-the-move hack with the update?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Everything I've read seems to indicate no. It updates more than just the map data and like the later 3's, the hack won't work with newer versions.

The coolest thing about the nav is by far the 4x4 info. I use the navigation portion from time to time, but most times I rely on my phone because it has real time traffic. And because stopping to input a destination is usually incredibly inconvenient.

The voice command portion is mainly good for laughs. I don't know who they got to record for it, but his diction is astounding. One time it chose to show me ski resorts when I told it to "navigate home" because I didn't say "navigation go home."

Old 10-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I had the 2012 update and the recent one from the guy in Sweden and the on the move hack went away with the 2012 version.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Camel Trophy

...aaaaand THAT's why I'm still rockin' the original 2005 disc.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by djkronik57
Everything I've read seems to indicate no. It updates more than just the map data and like the later 3's, the hack won't work with newer versions.
Wrong. Nav-on-move works with the 2016 map data. That old input the code method does not work yes, but the GAP reflash for Nav-on-move will work with the new disc.

I have used it several times already

The following users liked this post:
dijkvr (11-06-2016)

Quick Reply: LR3 Stock Nav