LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE REDUCE PERFORMANCE ON MY LR3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ENGINE REDUCE PERFORMANCE ON MY LR3

One last thing if you remove the diode and plug the plugs together the car should start and run normally but the radio might be noisey. scott

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scoot ok to be more specific, what should i say to the land rover dealer when i go? just to be clear!! so they dont come with more things... thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask them to replace the coil pack diode on the harness to the coil over packs, if you cant drive it remove the diode and connect the 2 wires together that went to it . The truck will run fine but the AM stations on your radio will have horrible reception. scott

Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
4wd High

Well I spoke too soon. Just received the diode on Monday from the LR dealer. I installed it and the truck started and ran just fine. The next day I drove to work and back with no problems. On the second day on my way to work I received the "reduced engine performance" message AGAIN!!!! While driving on the freeway the RPM's were fluctuating even though I was not moving the gas pedal. OnceI got to the parking lotthe enginestalled. Later that morning Idrove torun an errandand she started and ran like normal. ??????

This is a typical scenario of this gripe:
On my way to work in the morning about1 minute into the tripon the on-ramp of the freeway I get the "reduced engine performance" message.
Shortly afterthe message the engine RPM's will fluctuate and you can notice a reduction in power. This happens even if the cruise control is set. On longer trips the reduce performance message will come and go.
Once I get off the freeway and drive slow (5 MPH) on city streets the engine will try to die, especially when coming to a stop after letting off of the gas. This also happens in stop-and-go traffic after the reduced engine performance message has come on.
Other things worth mention are: I'venoticed when I startthe engineandit's already warm the RPM's will fluctuate (hunt) for a few seconds before it stabilizes at its normal idle speed. It will go up to 1000 RPM then almost die, go back to 1000 then settle at idle, like the ECU is getting conflicting inputs and is trying to compensate? It also seems to stall most often when driving slow in the parking lot when there is an increased load on the engine i.e. from the power steering pump and air conditioner. And last but not least, sometimes while letting off the gas and applying the brake it feels as if the throttle is still giving the engine gas making it harder to come to a stop.

I would take it in to the dealer AGAIN however there is rarely an associated check engine light for them to read a fault code and I don't want towaste money on shot-gun troubleshooting. Has anyone else had any of theseproblems and if sowhat was the fix??? I NEED HELP as this gripe is very annoying and I'm having second thoughts about purchasing this vehicle. My truck has 70,000 miles on it and I fear this is only the beginning......

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Three Wheeling

I'll preface this by saying I'm no mechanic (just the simple stuff).

What grade of gas are the folks with the trouble using?

I wonder as some where tempted to go to the low grade, during the $5-6/gallon for premium times.
Could this be a residual effect from running too much on the low octane stuff?

Anyway, just my two cents (might not even be worth that, but you never know).

Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
4wd High

I purchased the vehicle a few months ago when gas prices were starting to drop. I have always used premium. As for the previous owner that's a good question. The thing is, it ran fine for the first monthI bought it. Now it seems to act up every few days (getting worse).

Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, guys, sorry I have been on vacation and not looking at the forums at all or I would have posted sooner on this issue. I went through the same headache of random "reduced engine performance" a few months back. It too cut off on its own everytime I came to a stop while the message was active. Every time it went to the dealer, the codes would read either MAF sensor bad or some other sensor in the exaust bad amid a few other things. I can't begin to tell you how many things were changed by reading codes, only to have the issue pop back up a few days later.

I was so agravated with the service people for not being able to find the right cause, until I took it in to the good people at Walnut Creek LandRover here in CA. The forman listened to my explanation of the symptoms and what all had been tried before and came to the conclussion that even though the codes kept pointing at other stuff, it had to be the Throtle body. He took a chance at changing it with a new one and VOILA. Problem solved once and for all!!!!

Hope this helps out.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Three Wheeling

UMMM, let me post in a few days... Let me check in the land rover dealer!!! ill post...

Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
4wd High

Jantiz, It's good to here you've found a fix for this. I guess that's the point of this forum is to learn from other peoples experience. If you don't mind me asking how much was the total repair to replace the throttle? Do you know how much the throttle itself cost (minus labor)? I'm thinking about replacing it myself. Also can you go a little bit more in depth on your symptoms prior to changing out the throttle as well as the mileage on your truck? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks-Aaron

Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about cost since it was still under warranty. My milage at the time must have been around 35k.

It all started one day while off roading, the engine check light came on. Not red but amber meaning it was not a serious faliure. I finished out the day and on the way home the light went off by itself, so I didn't give it much thought. All good for about 2 weeks. Then the first "Reduced engine performance" came on. At first the warning would come on with no side effects that I could tell. I would just turn off the vehicle and turn it back on and it would go away. After a few times of that, it started to come on and stay on and that's when I noticed for the first time that coming to a stop would cause the engine to die. After dying, I would restart and the problem would again, go away for a little while. Then the message started to come on and stay on and the truck would die every single time I came to a stop. Mind you, this whole time I had been going to the dealer to have it looked at. They would change something new every time and the problem would go away for a couple of days only to come right back. I took to driving the LR3 with one foot on the gas and one on the brakes so I could keep the RPMs up at every stop. That was the only way I could keep it from dying at every stop or every red light. On the final trip to the dealer the forman came out and told me that they had basically exausted every option his mechanics could think of and had replaced every component and sensor the codes were saying where bad to no avail. He said he had one last idea of what could be bad but warned me that he was just going against the computer codes and changing what he FELT his experience as a mechanic told him had to be the problem and thus could not guarantee it would take care of it. If it didn't work he was going to have to refer the vehicle to the engineers at Land Rover because there was nothing else they knew to try. That's when he told me about changing the entire Trottle Body because simply nothing else made sense, and that's when he hit the nail on the head. I have close to 10k miles trouble free since the repair.

Quick Reply: ENGINE REDUCE PERFORMANCE ON MY LR3