LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault codes 1st start of day

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houm_wa
... probably time to part ways and get her a RAV-4.
Who knows. Id rather us keep it and fix it. When theres no problem. The dam thing is a great vehicle. Im trying to talk her into letting me replace the rear and then deal with the TCM until after income tax time and try and save for a new TCM that I can install. We are checking our options first before making a decision. I got to get it from the shop sometime tomorrow. Guess we will see.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

$110 for programming just made the IIDtool $390.
Then you'll need some other issue fixed down the road for another $110 fee . . . now the IIDtool only costs $280.
Pretty soon the IIDtool will be paying YOU back because you chose to buy it before wasting $ on your first "programming expense".

Maybe you aren't aware of just how powerful it is?
It FAR exceeds "a little bit more than what your solus pro does".

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by douglastic
$110 for programming just made the IIDtool $390.
Then you'll need some other issue fixed down the road for another $110 fee . . . now the IIDtool only costs $280.
Pretty soon the IIDtool will be paying YOU back because you chose to buy it before wasting $ on your first "programming expense".

Maybe you aren't aware of just how powerful it is?
It FAR exceeds "a little bit more than what your solus pro does".

If we decide to keep it. Ill probably go that route for any future issues. That tool can program the modules cant it? I may rebuild the rear and deal with the TCM until I get the money for a new one and get that tool to program it also if can do that. Thanks for the info also.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, as far as I know, it can do anything the dealer can: modules, updates, service modes, key programming, suspension, etc.
Maybe someone can point out exceptions.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I agree with Doug. I also think that getting an IIDTool is the FIRST thing you should do...not after you throw money at a diff that might be fine and a TCM that is acting up. I'd suggest changing the diff fluid first and see if helps with the noise. It may not be a "fix now" type thing, either. So it's noisy...big deal? I'd be curious to see what the IIDTool tells you about this TCM. I don't recall ever hearing about this type of issue in 15 years of ownership and posting on message boards.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Drifting

"I don't recall ever hearing about this type of issue in 15 years of ownership and posting on message boards."
Ok well that makes 2 of us. And the shop I took it to is a high end shop that works on LR, Mercedes, bmw, ect. Not some hole in a wall. They have the capability to program all those vehicles also. All the years and dealers ive worked for, ive never had a cold ambient temperature affect a module. A module getting too hot and acting up until it cools down is what I used to see. And what do you mean throwing money at the diff? Im jacking it up this weekend and seeing exactly where the noise is coming from first. I know my center support bearing is going on its way out. The rubber around 3/4 of it is torn for one. Like I said, im gonna confirm where its noisey. If Its the bearings in the rear, then Ill order the bearing kit and rebuild it. Thats a simple enough job to replace the bearings. Ill check into it more this weekend when I have more daylight.

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-03-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay okay....just don't replace the rear diff without first changing the fluid to see if that helps.

Look, I understand that it's a good shop and you trust it, but I've had to re-direct the dealership in the past; they don't know all. Neither do I, but I have literally read through thousands and thousands of posts over 1.5 decades. If you want to keep this thing, get an IIDTool, take your time and sort it out. I'm betting the TCM thing is just not as sinister as it sounds.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Drifting

You obviously have more knowledge on these than I do. I guess changing the fluid 1st cant hurt. I have no problem trying that 1st. Im still not convinced its the rear, seeing as my center bearing is kinda beat. I will confirm it before ripping the rear apart though. And as much as id like to get the scanner, we dont have the money to blow right now. If we keep it then I have no problem eventually getting one. The thing with the TCM is, that I can duplicate this issue EVERY time the temps drop until the trans warms up the fluid. What are you actually thinking could be up with it?? Its odd that it loses communication and then is fine once warmed. Outside of an inconvenience, its pissing me off playing this warm up game with it. And dont take me the wrong way. I do appreciate the help your giving. But this wrench in our plans because of this, is causing us issues with my wife needing have the vehicle we bought to carry our grandson and family in. The savings we've scrounged together was supposed to be for other pressing things and its slowly getting directed into the LR3. Its frustrating.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Default I appreciate your struggle...

...I really do. I guess I'm saying that it could be another issue reporting through the TCM. Similar to how a failed brake light shows as a suspension fault + Brake failure and no HDC. It may be electrical and not mechanical.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I wonder about the thermostat, too...

Old 11-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Hey Houm_wa. I kept thinking about what you said about not coming across this issue in all these years. So back on Saturday while i had the wheels off the ground checking the bearing noise in the rear. I looked around some..the one plug I couldn't get to a while ago from the hot exhaust pipe in my way, was the plug on the trans. Well i found a few drops of tranny fluid filled in the 3 bottom pins. After cleaning it out, everything works perfect now. My sport mode and trans command has NEVER worked since we bought this month's ago. Dont know why warm temperatures affected it but. Its no longer affected by the cold. Im gonna replace the bearings in the rear and center support bearing also. So. Looks like everything might be good after that. Next is that GAP tool if we keep it. So. Thanks again. Mike

Quick Reply: Fault codes 1st start of day