LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault codes 1st start of day

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill trade it in to a dealer. I wouldn't sell it to a person to get screwed like the people I bought it from did to me. Im waiting for a call back from the shop I plan to take it to and inquire about a software update. So people online have had this problem and the update fixed it. Would explain why cold ambient temps affect it. Cause the trans and TCM is cold. Once the trans fluid warms up the problem is gone. And I verified about the TCM and TCCM. I definitely have TCM codes. So Ill see if an update is a possibility and also a fix.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (10-29-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Ok. I got it back from the shop. It IS the TCM acting up when cold. And to make matters worse, the rear diff is making noise. The rear diff I can find on ebay from $200 and up. As for the TCM, does anyone know if that is plug and play, or does it have to be programmed with the VIN? I can also find them online but does no good to me if it has to be programmed. Or If I somehow get another one thats bad. I dont think she is gonna go along with putting any more money into this. So Im trying to see what my options are. Anyone got any idea on this? Thanks

Old 11-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

If you're going to keep it, you might consider getting an IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. Sounds like it could be useful right away and pay for itself immediately. I don't have any knowledge of the TCM. If you have an open rear diff, maybe try changing the fluid first before replacing it. If you have the locker, there is no way a $200 replacement is going to be good.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Drifting

I cant remember if it has a locker. Ill have to look. The diff is whining while on the gas. I thought maybe it was the center support bearing on the driveshaft, apparently its not. Its now an argument back and forth with my wife of what money we already put into it. We're short on money and dont have the money to either repair it, or trade it in with some cash to buy something else. These people screwed us bad. Knowing we were gonna use it to take our daughter and my 1st grandchild in it and they couldn't have been honest about it. Just ANOTHER reason why I hate people any more. Id have no problem fixing it if we had the money. We do like the vehicle. I can put a rear diff in and a good TCM if it doesn't need to be programmed. But then its like, what's gonna be next on it. 😞

Old 11-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy

...it sucks that you got screwed over like that.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

TCM needs to be coded to your VIN.

The following users liked this post:
MudDrivermike (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...it sucks that you got screwed over like that.
Right. Im considering putting in a used diff with lower mileage. If we go that route. At least we can warm up the tranny fluid and its drivable for now. Just dont want to blow a rear. This is my wifes ride and dont need her breaking down.

Originally Posted by loanrangie
TCM needs to be coded to your VIN.
Dam. I was hoping maybe not. Cause my only option is buying a new one from LR for $3583 before tax. THEN having to have it programmed. Im assuming it wont drive without the VIN being programmed in?

I thought about checking some of those companies that sell refurbed TCM or can refurb mine for less than a new one. Anyone try that option?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Why don't you just invest $500 in a GAP tool and then drive it until it dies...???

....and then part it out.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Why don't you just invest $500 in a GAP tool and then drive it until it dies...???

....and then part it out.
Because its my wifes vehicle and we dont have money to drop on a tool that does a little bit more than what my solus pro does. She needs a reliable vehicle to drive and that tool isnt gonna fix our issue. For the shop I took it to, itll cost me $110 for them to program a module. So IF I replace the rear diff and get a new TCM. Their programming fee is less than the $500 or so price of that tool. I have my durango that needs tires, and this LR is eating the money that was originally supposed to go to my tires. Unfortunately, we need too many things right now and not enough money to get it done fast enough.

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-02-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Fair enough...

... probably time to part ways and get her a RAV-4.

Quick Reply: Fault codes 1st start of day