LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few notes from Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

In off road mode fording depth is 27.6" so theoretically nothing.

If I was going to keep them I would clean out all the electrical connections and check the wiring in the passenger kick panel and sill over carefully

Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I know its tough, but I would let insurance have them. If the carpet is wet than the wiring harnesses in the sill running along the outside have been completely submerged.

I had a truck come in because the seat wouldn't move and the carpet was soaked. I dried it out and starting cleaning connections.

By the time I was done the sunroof didn't work, both seats didn't work, the keyless entry didn't work, and it had a parasitic draw on the battery.

As a hail mary I installed a brand new BECM, no change.

If they will let you keep them for a month to see if systems start acting up, then maybe try to keep them. If you have to decide now, let them go.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
In off road mode fording depth is 27.6" so theoretically nothing.

If I was going to keep them I would clean out all the electrical connections and check the wiring in the passenger kick panel and sill over carefully
Agree. I think that it should be able to sit in 24" water for days with no real problems. As long you check the interior carefully (check the spot around the tire winch in the trunk, check the area in the back driver's side of the trunk where the compressor pipes come into the car, check around the front near the firewall) and you don't find any dampness, then I think you'll be fine. I would go ahead and change rear diff, front diff, transfer case, and possibly tranny fluid just to be on the safe side (these are maintenance items anyway, so just tell yourself that you're doing it a bit ahead of schedule).

If it was salt water, this would be a completely different story, but it sounds like you might get by just fine. *fingers crossed*

Old 08-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I was going to ask about the salt water... wouldn't the flood water from this storm be brackish at best? How close were you to the coast and the storm surge?

I wouldn't want any vehicle that sat in salty water whether or not the electrical was affected.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck. Glad you are all safe. Phil

Old 09-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Winching
Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts
Default They are gone!

After much sole searching, I let the insurance take them away.

I figured with as much as I have learned from this forum, the next one should be easier to fix.

As long as the engine and tranny are good, I can fix the rest, so keep a look out in the next few weeks as I chamge my signature to show the Rover.

Thanks for all the interest and help

Jeff

Old 09-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

That couldn't have been an easy decision. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss but glad to hear that you are all safe and healthy.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Plenty of LR3's out there. Hell I've bought a pair of them in the last 6 months lol

Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Rufflyer, I have a question for you. Having owned both the 3 and 4, which do you prefer?

Reason for asking, I was planning my next Rover to be a 4 and wanted some advice... thanx

Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Winching
Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 3 vs 4

They are different. Speaking from a users point of view not an engineer........
The 4 rode better on the road (but it did have 100,000 les miles than the 3)
It took us awhile to figure out the locking scheme. Seems how you lock it make a diffetence on what does when you unlock it. And how you unlocked.
(It has those small buttons on the door handles for locking)

The nav is intergrated. No way to change it out like the 3.
It rides better on the rode again, may have been difference in milage.

4 has more acceleration and the ZF tranny seems to like the
torque curve of the 5.0 better than the 4.4 (but my 4.4 may have been a little tired)

The 4 requires unicorn tears for engine oil. (If you want to use the factory listed oil, it is impossible to find locally and if you do, it is $13 to $15 a quart.)

Other than that...... Same car.

If you understand the maintnenace requirements of these cars, either one is a good choice. If i had the money, I would think about replacing my 3 with a 4, but a 2007 LR3 with 176,000 won't. be much of a down payment, even for a 2010 LR4. bUT I dont have the money only alot of LR stuff so I will buy another LR3

Hope you find the one you want

Jeff

Quick Reply: A few notes from Houston