LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Land Rover owner..what have i DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not bumping intentionally- but from the info on these forums i have successfully replaced the air filter AND the thermostat myself.
On to cleaning the MAF and hopefully after that- all my CEL codes should be clear.
My question (and ill be searching on here too)
#1 have any of you guys had to replace the front Diff carrier on your Lr3 yet? I guess this is normal and they wear out prematurely.
My is sloppy as a pocketful of rocks and is all kinds of clunky.
#2 What's the best, most affordable obd2 that will check and reset LR codes- i bout a 20$ one at autozone and it wouldnt link

Thanks all

Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

The best OBD2 device for the LR3, for the money, is the IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. I don't have experience with others, my conclusion is based on my own use of the GAP tool and anecdotal data gained from reading this forum and others. It's about $400. Expensive but it will pay for itself again and again...

Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wowzers..$400.... I guess ill start saving. Im nervous about even owning this thing- im a nervous wreck driving it because i hear every little nuance expecting it to fall apart on me. What the heck- why are they so cool and why do they cause so much heart/wallet ache?!?!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mikmouse24
Wowzers..$400.... I guess ill start saving. Im nervous about even owning this thing- im a nervous wreck driving it because i hear every little nuance expecting it to fall apart on me. What the heck- why are they so cool and why do they cause so much heart/wallet ache?!?!
the GAP tool is worth every penny. Can almost fix anything.

Nice color you got. I am considering that blue as my next one.

Stay on top of the tires and allignment. Also you can only get it alligned at a dealer correctly unless you have a GAP tool and set the suspension to a different mode so it can be alligned.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

We have a 2005 LR3 Tonga Green with 112,000 miles. We love it. We don't get the chance to use the incredible four wheel drive system much , even on the pot-hole filled roads here in San Diego! We have had it for. Three years and 30,000 miles. For the most part it has been trouble free. We replaced the transmission sleeve and suspension compressor. Both problems that we knew about when we bought it. I replaced the plastic T on the cooling system and another plastic part on the thermostat housing on the cooling system that turned out not to be broken but was simply not secured properly. The clear coat is starting to go on the top between the two sunroofs (car sits out 24/7). The rear back up sensors work occasionally. Mainly don't. I don't really care about those. We have been extremely pleased with our LR3. So much so that we got a Range Rover Sport. It was a project. Now that it is done, I love it too. These trucks are much more dependable than the three discovery IIs that we have owned. We have three 4Runners that are pretty worry free as was our 1999 land cruiser and the LR3 is every bit as dependable. Good luck. Phil

Ps I just got a gap tool IID but haven't taken it out of the box yet. Planning on wrapping it up and putting it under the Christmas tree from Santa to me. 😀 After all, I have been very good this year.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikmouse24
What the heck- why are they so cool and why do they cause so much heart/wallet ache?!?!
In a word, British.

Definitely save up the coin for the IID tool. It's worth every penny. Bringing it to a repair place that will work on a LR vehicle 2x simply for them to pull the codes will cost more than the IID will. It's worth it, for sure.

They are way more reliable than the old D2s, and I still love mine. As for the differential -- $1300 is a pretty good price for a rebuilt one. A junkyard may be cheaper, but even if they give a warranty, do you want to redo the job again in a month when you find out that one's junk too? It's not uncommon for these to have diff problems, so pulling from a Junkyard is really just a crapshoot.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a 30 dollar scanner from pep boys. it just reads basic codes and can erase them. thats about it. I google the codes and usually its the usual stuff. Thermostat replacement and maf sensor related problems. now its just been my fuel cap missing or loose.
I was a big supporter of using oem parts but have been extremely lucky in the local chain store aftermarket items. e.g. the maf sensor. replaced it for under 50 bucks! 10 bucks for the fuel cap. thermostat and t piece that cracked (took me a while to figure out why I kept getting that sweet smell of coolant), front and rear air blocks are oem.
I would love the gap tool to recal my height sensors. I think my lr3 2006 might be off on the corners.

** is it me or why is it whenever I order from atlantic british (roverparts), about a week later they throw a sale on the item I just ordered???? lol