LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good buy?..help :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good buy?..help :)

Hey guys,
looking at a "06 LR3 6V with 129K miles. custom 22inch rims and few upgrades...
I can buy it for $5,000 but the suspension fault light is on...car rides great no problems and owner has driven the car w/susp lights on for 2 years.

Anyway
Should I take the risk and buy it? is it a good price ? I personally really like it and think its a minor fix like fuse, battery or sensor...I test drove the vehicle and it sits right, the compressor kicks in for a few seconds and car rides very nice....but I really would like your opinion on this,
Also Does not have the Nav. System for me to check the sensors...any other way to check those?

Cheers

Last edited by CATTIVA73; 05-14-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

"car rides great no problems."

Can you please elaborate on this? Particularly, what height setting is it in? What happens if you try to raise it? What color is the suspension fault light?

Car has a few knocks against it:

1. It's a V6.
2. It has a fault light on.
3. Owner has run it with said fault light on for 2 years.

I'm not sure what a "good price" is anymore. $5000 does sound fairly cheap and if you simply upgrade the compressor, sell those stupid 22s and go about your business, that might not be a bad deal. ...might be worth a visit to the LR dealer to have the fault diagnosed.

Oh yeah...to check the sensors: Just drive it about 60 MPH for at least 20 seconds or so. If you don't get a red fault that dumps you to bump stops then your sensors are fine.

Last edited by houm_wa; 05-14-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
"car rides great no problems."

Can you please elaborate on this? Particularly, what height setting is it in? What happens if you try to raise it? What color is the suspension fault light?

Car has a few knocks against it:

1. It's a V6.
2. It has a fault light on.
3. Owner has run it with said fault light on for 2 years.

I'm not sure what a "good price" is anymore. $5000 does sound fairly cheap and if you simply upgrade the compressor, sell those stupid 22s and go about your business, that might not be a bad deal. ...might be worth a visit to the LR dealer to have the fault diagnosed.

Oh yeah...to check the sensors: Just drive it about 60 MPH for at least 20 seconds or so. If you don't get a red fault that dumps you to bump stops then your sensors are fine.
The height it sits on is normal drive, the susp. light is orange not flashing just comes on at start up and stays on...didnt tried to raise it up.
Thanks for the sensor diagnostic tip.....I would first fully charge battery, check the fuse and see what the compressor is doing...Current owners dont seem to know much about Land Rovers looking at wheels choice etc.lol Overall It rides good n I think not too big of a deal to fix... yes?

Last edited by CATTIVA73; 05-15-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

How close are you to a LR dealer? They charge around 125dollars in my area for a diagnostic investigation on an issue like that, pulling codes checking issues etc. would be money very well spent. If minor then you know what it is and can buy with confidence. If more serious you could have just saved yourself thousands of dollars. A suspension issue could be a lot of dollars
I'd be suspicious if they are selling, there is a fault light and they say nothing is wrong...

Plus I imagine the ride is terrible on 22inch wheels...

Old 05-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

By the way, three of the most recent four threads in LR3 section (incl this one) are on suspension issues. So I wouldn't ignore it.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

What does the lite look like?

V6 very unpopular engine

If you are intent on buying it I would have a rover dealer do a pre purchase inspection , they can let you know what it needs , can be worth the money if its a **** box

At that miles its a toss up, have they had a dealer service all fluids and a tune up? Has it had a new compressor yet, rear diff been replaced? Rear drive shaft? Is gas gauge accurate.? Is front rear good?

Have the control arm bushings been done?

Receipts receipts receipts and I mean dealer or independent rover shop not jiffy lube, has oil been done on regular basis?

There is a pre buy checklist at top of lr3 section , needs to be scanned, if its setting with a bad battery it needs to be replaced before you can get a good read

Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Btw what are the upgrades? 22" rim is a downgrade

If you say aftermarket crap wired in like stereo , walk away

Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

ditto on what Tom stated above. best used models are the ones where they only spent money on maintenance, not ghetto blasters, 22's etc.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Default :{)

LD Dealership is over two hours away,
Upgrades are just the wheels, custom rap (flat black) and snorkel. Services done locally by owner (mechanic)

Like I said, car drives fine, no rattles or vibrations I thought it'd be a good car for the $
I read lots of people driving their Lrs with suspension fault lights on...Just was hoping for more encouraging outputs

Anyone else?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CATTIVA73
LD Dealership is over two hours away,
Upgrades are just the wheels, custom rap (flat black) and snorkel. Services done locally by owner (mechanic)

Like I said, car drives fine, no rattles or vibrations I thought it'd be a good car for the $
I read lots of people driving their Lrs with suspension fault lights on...Just was hoping for more encouraging outputs

Anyone else?
if you don't want to get shafted, just GO to the dealer. The closest was 2.5 hours away when I bought mine... Without codes or a better description of the problem you could be fine or you could be absolutely SOL

Quick Reply: Good buy?..help :)