LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDC lights on when brake pedal is not engaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDC lights on when brake pedal is not engaged

Hello, I'm new to the LR world and I'm about to give up! Pls help!
Got a 2006, LR3 and I have replaced: two suspension sensors (front right and , rear left), the rear brake sensor and the brake light switch; and yet I'm still getting the suspension lights on on my dashboard, Cruise Control not available , suspension lowered and transmission fault. The front right side also seems to be at a lower height than the rest of the wheels (not for much , but you can see it, so the car is a bit tilt).

I have read a lot about this issue, and thought that by replacing the brake light switch would fix it , but it didn't.
We have also tried disconnecting the battery, turning the steering wheel left and right to erase the lights (it does it, but then after running it for a few miles, they come back on). -- We noticed, though, that when we start the car with the foot in the brake pedal, all lights are off. As soon as we disengage the pedal, all lights come on. WHAT IS THE ISSUE?

Pls advise! ...thank you in advanced!

Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...best thing for you to do, if you think you might stay in the LR world and not give up, is get an IIDTool. That way you can diagnose this and other issues as they come. Has your LR3 been exposed to water ingress? You may not be sure if it's new to you, but you may want to check those areas that get impacted. Does your EAS seem to work when the fault is not active? Does it raise and lower as expected, I mean? Is your suspension light red or amber? What does it say, specifically, on the info screen?

The following users liked this post:
Mayemaye (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...best thing for you to do, if you think you might stay in the LR world and not give up, is get an IIDTool. That way you can diagnose this and other issues as they come. Has your LR3 been exposed to water ingress? You may not be sure if it's new to you, but you may want to check those areas that get impacted. Does your EAS seem to work when the fault is not active? Does it raise and lower as expected, I mean? Is your suspension light red or amber? What does it say, specifically, on the info screen?
Thank you for your response! this has been my dream car for years, now that I finally have it I would prefer not to give up! To answer your questions, (1) we got one, and it doesnt show any errors... (2) I dont think the car has been exposed to water ingress ,,, (3) EAS seems to work (everything seems to work fine when I turn the car on, and the brake pedal is engaged. Problem starts when I disengage the pedal), YES all suspension programs work if brake pedal is engaged. (4) suspension light is amber . (5) Info Screen says: Transmission Fault; HDC system Fault, Cruise Control Not available , Special Programs not available; the (amber) Brake light is also on on the dashboard.

Any other thoughts?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

HDC faults go along with many other things. Voltage issues when cold? HDC light. Dead alternator? HDC and terrrain response have issues first (along with radio). Transfer case control module can fault too because of water ingress and fail causing HDC and terrrain response to not work in weird places.

Get an IID tool and start hunting down specific fault codes.

Mayemaye (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If you want to change a part without diagnosing, try the brake switch.

Mayemaye (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
If you want to change a part without diagnosing, try the brake switch.
We tried, it didn't work

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you had the software updated at the dealer? It's just over a hundred bucks to have done, so on the lower $ end of things to try. My software was a bit messed up throwing the amber suspension light and the update fixed it. Just something to consider.

Also, have your battery load tested... these trucks are super sensitive to voltage drops.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Have you had the software updated at the dealer? It's just over a hundred bucks to have done, so on the lower $ end of things to try. My software was a bit messed up throwing the amber suspension light and the update fixed it. Just something to consider.

Also, have your battery load tested... these trucks are super sensitive to voltage drops.
We just realized the backup lights were out too. We replaced the light bulbs, but still they don't work. We tried the bulbs in a different soaked, and bulbs worked, so there has to be something with the backup light wiring ...?

Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Check the bulb contacts with a test light to confirm. Maybe try cleaning the contacts with sand paper.

Mayemaye (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
Check the bulb contacts with a test light to confirm. Maybe try cleaning the contacts with sand paper.
Will try that today! Thanks for your response!!

Quick Reply: HDC lights on when brake pedal is not engaged