LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights, Turn Signals, Windshield Washer Not Working after Sunroof Drain Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights, Turn Signals, Windshield Washer Not Working after Sunroof Drain Repair

Hi all,

I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is unconventional. I'm in desperate need of your collective LR3 expertise. Here's my situation:

I decided to fix the driver and passenger side sunroof drains. Everything came out smoothly, and the drains are now sending the water outside of the car. The CJB reinstallation has been really frustrating. Here's a breakdown:
  • Attempt 1: After hooking everything back up, all seems fine, no new faults, everything is working until I turn the key. Car will not start. I hear a clicking from the CJB. After checking the front connections, I pull the CJB.
  • Attempt 2: After reconnecting everything, I got what seemed to be every possible fault, still not starting, practically nothing works. Pulled it again. The orange connector on the back to the CJB is not locking. Large green connector on the front also not locking.
  • Attempt 3: Car now starts. Headlights not working. Turn signals not working. CEL is on. Red security light blinking
  • Attempt 4: Car starts. CEL off. Headlights not working, but high beams work. Turn signals not working. Hazards on right rear and right fender work. Red security light blinking. Remote key is not working. Windshield washer not working.
  • Hard Reset: brought the remote function back online. The windshield washer button activated the headlight washers, but only for a couple of sprays.
So, at this point, I'm left with dysfunctional headlights, turn signals, and windshield washer. I don't see anything that is apparently disconnected, crimped, etc. I can seemingly ascertain from this: http://rave.stringsandints.com/LRL18...R3-Wiring).pdf that the wiring for those things are in close proximity to one another, but I have no idea how those diagrams translate to the real life CJB and connectors. Any help that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

As frustrating as it may be, it still likely its a connector at the back of the CJB. They are absolute hell to get connected properly. Even if they feel right, they can be skewed. It took me several attempts to get them right.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
As frustrating as it may be, it still likely its a connector at the back of the CJB. They are absolute hell to get connected properly. Even if they feel right, they can be skewed. It took me several attempts to get them right.
Yup, that's where I'd check too. They are beyond hell to connect

Old 04-26-2020, 12:41 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Thanks for the reply! I went back out and fooled around with it some more after my original post. Turns out that the problem was the large green connector on the front of the CJB. The left side of the clip was not pressed all the way down, so the connector wasn't fully locked. I pushed really hard and got it to seat. Everything works now! Crazy that the set up is that sensitive.

FWIW (and maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this), during one of the reinstalls, I discovered that I could hold the CJB up to near its installed level and twist it counterclockwise (face towards the passenger side of the vehicle), which gave me plenty of room to easily reach the connectors on the back of the CJB. This was the break through I needed to get the car started. The green connector on the back was never any trouble; it locked like a dream. The locking mechanism on the orange one gave me hell. Once I got that one seated, the car was able to start.

Regarding the drain repair itself, I ended up using some flexible 1/2" tubing that slid snuggly over the drain line. On the driver side, I simply ran that new tube straight through the hole to the outside of the cabin. The new tubing also happened to fit very snuggly into the hole. I ended up using a couple of push on landscaping irrigation pieces to create the 90 on the passenger side. Maybe I'll live to regret those choices, but I was out of pocket about $7 for the drain repair. Never mind the years of my life erased by the CJB stress...

Old 04-27-2020, 12:42 AM
3rd Gear

I felt really good about those connections on the back once I figured out how to position the CJB in order to get to them. The problem really came down the the locking mechanism on the large green connector on the front. The way that it broke allowed it to unlock the connector, but would not allow it to fully lock it onto the CJB. I was able to prise the locks closed using a large Allen wrench and a large straight edge screw driver. I'm happy to report that everything is now functional.