LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield Right Side Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

sure does.

that is a good thing for me as I have a Java Black 3. Even with the temperature below freezing it will manage to melt the snow or frost off and be warm to the touch as long as the sun is shining. Great for winter, hell in the summer.

Some people just can't wrap their head around the fact that places in Canada have an 80*C temperature change from summer to winter.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderman
sure does.
Apparently, I was mistaken. My memory failed me. As I thought about my earlier post while sitting in the driver's seat, I had another look at the label and the "Solar-X" is not there as I had thought it was.

The rest of my post is accurate. lol

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default nothing is straight forward

Nothing is routine when working on a Land Rover.

I am in the process of changing my block heater cord on the V8 and it turned into a research project.

The block is alloy so that begets an alloy compatible block heater, in this case a brass like one rather than sort sort of steel.

Temro has some deal with LR not to officially market the block heater under the Temro name, hence the challenge to find out what it is. The cord must also be brass compatible as the block heater is therefore made of brass and this becomes another fuss.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...why are you changing it? ...and why not use the same Temro Chord that you had before? I just bought one a few months ago so I know you can source them.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Smile Just the cord Temro 3600003

The three prong plug end internally broke so I cut it off and just attached a new plug and now it works fine. I however prefer the look of a new looking cord hanging out of the grill rather than a fixer upper.

Hence the search for the correct cord. I will change it at the next oil change but did not want to remove the skid plate to look at the shape of the plug at the block heater end. I turned the quest into a big deal.

If you have a Canadian spec 4.4L petrol V8 model, you may also have a block heater already installed in the engine block. Even if so, most likely however, there will be no cord.

It seems some US spec cold weather models may also had the block heater already installed at the factory but most likely without the 120 VAC three prong power cord.

Apparently the Land Rover/Ford engine plant in the UK may at times have 120 VAC block heaters stocked in the engine assembly shop. If so, at the time they are assembling your engine, you might get one, if not, too bad.

The Solihull assembly line does not normally inventory the ULC/CSA spec 15 amp 125VAC power cord, so even if the block heater is provided, the cord almost never is.

The correct block heater cord is a Temro 3600003, also the part number for the cord for the 83 to 86 2.8L V6 in the Ford Explorer. This is a five foot long cord with what is called a Straight connector at the block heater end with holes for two pins; there is also a metal tab between the two pin holes for the ground conductor. That cord, in addition to having the correct two pin plus ground tab end, is designed for both aluminum and brass heaters – that matters.

The Land Rover part number for the Block Heater assembly is VUB504640 but is a Temro product not officially stocked by Temro as a Land Rover block heater. The Temro number however is 3100107 which is for a brass body 30 mm threaded 700 watt 120VAC screw in block heater with a rectangular shaped depression and two pins for the Temro 3600003 cord.

HOW TO SAFELY TEST A HEATER. Connect a multimeter to the heater pins or the cord at the 120 VAC plug end. A reading between 5 ohms and 100 ohms indicates that the heater is working correctly. My ohm meter reading at the cord plug end showed 25 ohms so I guess the block heater tested OK. The block heater seems to work OK as well so I regard the test results as valid.

It sounds like you are better at this than me!

Attached Thumbnails Heated Windshield Right Side Out-temro-block-heater-3100107-3100003-cord-petrol-v8-lr3-large.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I grabbed a female connector (blank) at a hardware store and plug my block heater chord into that; it acts as a "cap" of sorts to protect the prongs from the weather as I drive around. The chord itself is tied in with the wires going to my off-road lights mounted on my A-Frame bar. The whole thing looks rather good; kudos to Land Rover Seattle!