LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 2006 LR3 leaking like a siv

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2006 LR3 leaking like a siv

Had the Land Rover since February and it did not leak after sitting outside through most of the winter. Drove it to Austin Texas in mid April through the worst rain storm I have ever been in and did not leak a drop.

We had heavy rain last night and when I opened the front doors, the McNeil mats were full of water on both sides and I am still sponging water from the carpet on the drivers side.

What gives? Where do these things generally leak? At the top of the A pillar? The trim covering the A pillars seems suspect to me. Where else should I look? Is this something that's going to cost me thousands to fix?

It has almost 100k on it. I love the vehicle, but it's getting just too expensive.

HELP!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: I love the vehicle, but it's getting just too expensive.

That means it is a real Rover. Here are some tech pages on the A pillar leak.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LA501-006 A pillar water leak.pdf (107.6 KB, 11055 views)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I assume you have a sunroof?
I have to clean sunroof drains on a regular basis on these. The drains will either get clogged with debris, or algae will "glue" the ends of the elbows shut. If you open the sunroof and pour water into the trough around the sunroof, it should drain very fast. If it seems to back up, you need the clean the drains. I usually have to remove the elbows, clean them out and blow through the drain tubes.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your reply. Where do the drains exit?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Savannah Buzz - is the kit noted in the bulletin available for owner purchase? Do you have an idea of what the cost would be?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

don't know, and don't know if it is a recall or extended warranty type item. Good question for dealer.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

also, the tubes dump into the frame. See attached pages from shop manual. There is a 1 way valve, and if that gets plugged up.....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Description and Operation[1].pdf (217.1 KB, 1824 views)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Easy Fix

Originally Posted by comleader
Had the Land Rover since February and it did not leak after sitting outside through most of the winter. Drove it to Austin Texas in mid April through the worst rain storm I have ever been in and did not leak a drop.

We had heavy rain last night and when I opened the front doors, the McNeil mats were full of water on both sides and I am still sponging water from the carpet on the drivers side.

What gives? Where do these things generally leak? At the top of the A pillar? The trim covering the A pillars seems suspect to me. Where else should I look? Is this something that's going to cost me thousands to fix?

It has almost 100k on it. I love the vehicle, but it's getting just too expensive.

HELP!
Check your cowl on your windshield, is it warped on passenger side? Under the passenger side cowl there's a air duct for your cabin filter, if your cowl is warped water is seeping through and into the duct which than the water flows through your pollen filter and into your passenger side floor. Thats what happened with mine. Here's a link to what I did to solve the problem for once and for all. PM me your number and I can also walk you through what else I did to check/stop any leaks, a pillar, sunroof drain, ac drains etc... not that expensive at all. New cowl and a pillar parts all for under $150.00. I got mine done for free, my insurance covered it. I got the parts and I installed it myself. Easy job.
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - No more water ingress/passenger side...possibly

Last edited by mx468; 05-20-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks mx468. Did you install the kit from LR on your A pillars that was issued under the technical bulletin? $15 and change from the dealer. Lowest cost part they have, I'm sure.

If you installed the kit, can you post how to do it? Pics would be awesome if you have them.

I ordered the kit today. Won't be in until late this week, so won't get to it until the Memorial weekend, and there is rain in the forecast for the first half of the week. Funny thing is that it has rained since the deluge on Friday, and no additional leaking as far as I can tell. Would the drains have been clogged and all the water flushed them out...of course not before dumping a bunch of it into the interior!

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Generally the A-pillar leak is not that much water, as the holes are pretty small, and unless submerged, will not flow that much.

I would be looking at the sunroof drains with it being both sides. They fail in two ways, either draining well, just into the vehicle not out of it, or not draining enough, or at all.

If they are not draining enough, with a heavy enough rain, you can easily overflow the drip tray, which will cause water to come down on both sides. The cowl, where as it will leak the worst, really won't get water on the drivers side of the vehicle, unless it fills the entire heater box.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2006 LR3 leaking like a siv