LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 2006 LR3 leaking like a siv

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pull out the driverside end under the steering wheel. follow the draintube to where it meets the body inside the car and pull it out. Clean the ends out and modify them to open up more. cut the star end off so the mud won't back up. Then remove the passenger side air intake and remove the big sponge behind the air intake tube and cut off the end and blow some air thru it. open the sunroof pour some water thru, after letting it sit for a while blow it out up there. You end up cleaning all the dirt off at the top as well. You may have to add some more tape to the top post of the apillar trim panel cause it will break sometimes. if it doesn't cut it anyway if you want and install the duct tape over the hole. put some sealant on the holes so the panel stays down and won't buzz. After twenty four hours run some water over the vehicle to see if there are any more leaks.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=comleader;399364]Thanks mx468. Did you install the kit from LR on your A pillars that was issued under the technical bulletin? $15 and change from the dealer. Lowest cost part they have, I'm sure.

If you installed the kit, can you post how to do it? Pics would be awesome if you have them.

Yes I did, it was an easy job, I don't have any pics but I would recommend using a panel puller, it made the job much easier. Just pry the a pillars off gently. I also used extra gorilla duct tape over the holes that you are suppose to tape over with the supplied patch. Is your cowl warped? I didn't see you answer my question about it being warped or not. If it is, water is getting in through your pollen filter. I've included a pdf with instructions on the a pillar fix. Hope it helps. Oops I see Savannah already uploaded a copy.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LA501-006 A pillar water leak.pdf (107.6 KB, 6762 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cowl doesn't appear to be warped. By that I mean it appears tight against the windshield. Is that where I should be checking, or should I be looking under the hood?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by comleader
The cowl doesn't appear to be warped. By that I mean it appears tight against the windshield. Is that where I should be checking, or should I be looking under the hood?
Yeah the cowl should be flat against the windshield. Did you try pouring water on the drain tubes on your sunroof. Pour some water in the corners towards the front of sunroof and water should come out right behind your front tires. Right side of sunroof right side front tire, left side sunroof left side front tire. Also check your cabin filter to see if it's wet after it rains. That will let you know if your front windshield cowl is bad and leaking. Hope this helps. Pm me your number if you want to discuss possible options.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate all the expertise and experience on this forum.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Three Wheeling

I took my compressor and blew out the front sunroof drains. Didn't really see anything come out. Is this an effective way of cleaning them?

By far, most of the water was on the driver side carpet. Does that suggest something specific I should be looking for that is peculiar to the drivers side?

ms486-I don't know what a panel puller looks like. I obviously don't have one. How should I take of the A pillar panels when fitting the kit so I don't ruin them? I noticed that the passenger side panel is very loose at the bottom, almost as if there is an attaching pin or something on the inside that was broken off. The drivers side A pillar is tight, which makes this even more of a mystery as that is the side that got the most water.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

most parts stores sell an assortment pack of plastic upholstery removal tools, they slide under and pry off gently. Usually they look like a slotted spoon and pry evenly on both sides of a fastener.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do what Rovin4life suggested with removing the trim below the steering column. Your drain tube may be working fine, just draining into the truck. It's pretty easy to see that side once the trim is out of the way, just make sure it is full installed, then pour some water in that corner of the sunroof tray, and make sure it doesn't end up on the floor. Aught to drip right behind the front tire.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM
4wd Low

I have a 2007 LR3 SE and am experiencing water collecting and dripping down from the roof liner, just behind the windshield. This occurs during rains and I replaced the A Pillar Hardware kit on both sides and the cowl. Water mainly drips in from the drivers side with the car parked on a down slope and slight angle, so I suspect the sunroof. The water collected behind the inside driver side a pillar and soaked it until it began dripping. There is an Air bag curtain behind the trim. Has anyone seen this issue ?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Sunroof drains are clogged go to sticky for how to blow em out

Mine was this was, it will ruin nav shifter etc

Quick Reply: HELP! 2006 LR3 leaking like a siv