LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to interpret oil levels on a dip stick with 5 knobss

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to interpret oil levels on a dip stick with 5 knobss

Colleagues,
I have a disco3, 2005.
Its dipstick confuses me.
When i check oil in the morning, the level is between the top ball and the 4th ****. See yellow pointer.

Is it over filled? whats the recommended level in the morning when the engine is cool?

Secondly, what are some of the consequences when its over filled? i have driven like 400 miles in the past 3 weeks and i don't see or hear any particular issue.

Please note that i have got this picture on internet. so, don't relate my question to anywhere you may have seen this picture.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

what motor do you have?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Over filling a bit is generally okay. Overfilling too much can cause catastrophic issues. What happens is if its too full, the crank will splash into the oil and start to froth it up. Thus forming bubbles. If the bubbles become too great they can make their way down into the pick-up. Now you have an oil pump sucking up bubbly oil. Results in a drop in pressures and reduced oiling. Its almost like running the engine dry. Most larger engine have at least a half quart buffer. The LR3 probably has no less than a quart, quart and a half. Mainly because of the steep angles its rated for - but do NOT quote me on that. Right now I myself am no less than a half quart over. I hastily filled my last change and when I check the next morning I was over.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
what motor do you have?
It's Discovery 3, 2.7 litre, 2005

Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Over filling a bit is generally okay. Overfilling too much can cause catastrophic issues. What happens is if its too full, the crank will splash into the oil and start to froth it up. Thus forming bubbles. If the bubbles become too great they can make their way down into the pick-up. Now you have an oil pump sucking up bubbly oil. Results in a drop in pressures and reduced oiling. Its almost like running the engine dry. Most larger engine have at least a half quart buffer. The LR3 probably has no less than a quart, quart and a half. Mainly because of the steep angles its rated for - but do NOT quote me on that. Right now I myself am no less than a half quart over. I hastily filled my last change and when I check the next morning I was over.
Many thanks, DakotaTravel. This gives me big relief. I called my Mechanic and he said i don't need to take the car back to drain some of that oil because its not at dangerous levels. However, i was not very convinced and i wanted a second opinion.
I can now relax, thanks.