LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector Open circuit / dead ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injector Open circuit / dead ECM?

Just when I was getting through all the maintenance for this truck and getting some real use out of it, she goes and throws her first real set of codes...

0x205 P0205 Injector circuit/open - cylinder 5.
0x305 P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected.
0x316 P0316 Misfire detected on start-up (first 1000 revolutions).
0x500 P0500 Vehicle speed sensor A.

All this happened after I just swapped out the thermostat housing for the second time in 3 months (first replacement leaked a little and ultimately the temp sensor failed causing a rich condition in banks 1 and 2...I replaced the unit with a new one and when I went to bleed the coolant after I was done the truck idled really poorly. So bad I thought it was going to die...never did but the ended up smoothing out a little. so I finished burping the coolant system. shut it off - came back to drive it the next morning...made it half way around the block and I get the codes listed above...very very little power - check engine light kept flashing saying "reduced engine performance".

Parked it for a day...went back started her up...same issue - cleared the codes hoping that would help...came right back.

Opened her up checked the resistance of the 1 and 5 cyl. injector - both 13.4 ohms (right in spec) Checked the wire harness (1.631 Kohms for the #1 cyl. and 1.624 for the #5 - probably close enough) weird thing is thought that the consistancy failed with the ohm meter on both sides...my ohm meter only has a 2K setting but this would indicate that the earth ground may be bad.

I inspect all wires for the injectors and I can't find any breaks or anything...I even cleaned the connection of the earth ground just in case I got some coolant on it and caused some corrosion on it.

basically get the same horrible idle and using RSW software I get 0 for RPM read from the OBD-II port.

At first I was thinking that I may have a clogged injector but I would think it would give me a lean condition or some other code...kind of at a loss of what to swap out from here...

Thinking the ECM may have tanked but not sure how to test this properly to determine what it might actually be....any suggestions would be helpful especially before I tear the wiring harness apart and re-run these sensor wires...also I'm guessing the cam sensor is the vehicle speed sensor (opposed to the ABS or other wheel sensor - can't really find a reference with the RAVE manual).

Sorry for the long post...

Old 04-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Just an update - Turned out it was in fact a dead injector (I had accidently looked at the wrong cylinder layout so I wasn't checking the #5 cyl. after all - once I figured that out and re-tested - continuity was failling so bad injector) - swapped out for a new one (and replaced all the bottom o-rings for that rail) and she's purring like a kitten again. Still no reason for the Vehicle speed sensor to be on but doesn't seem to be causing any issues. BTW if you need an injector the one from Advanced Auto parts is like 60 compared to over 250 for the same exact thing...(thanks to a social media connection for that tip and I can tell you it looks and functions exactly the same...only time will tell if it lasts but for less then a quarter of the price...who cares if it only gets 50-100k miles)

Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Replacement injector

replace all o-rings on the rails removed - BTW you don't have to remove both rails to get to the odd numbered cylinders...just be careful to move all electrical connectors and vacuum hoses just in case. Hardest part is getting the rubber hose off the fuel rail line - if I were to do it again since it's just a normal rubber fuel hose is to cut the old hose off at both ends and install a new hose with new hose clamps...and I just cut the old hose clamp off and replaced it with a normal screw type

add a little oil to lube the o-rings and they slide right in...