LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a LR3, needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Looking at a LR3, needs some help

Hi All, I have been Land Rover free for the past 8 months, I didn't know what to do with all of my free weekend time so I bought 4 motorcycles, not that those are all pristine, I saw a LR3 that looks interesting. It is a 2005 with about 125k miles on her. The owner put a new engine in in about 38k miles ago. He ignored a temp warning light and toasted the engine due to a major overheat. Dealer installed the new motor.

I took it for a long test drive today. Overall it ran really well, except for the tranny It would start off from the stop but then would hesitate for several seconds and then jump into the next gear. I had a Discovery that acted in a similar manner but not nearly to the extent that this one does. I called the dealer (it has been regularly maintained at the dealer) and asked them about the tranny. I was told that they had just put in a new gear shifter and parking brake switch. the tech told me that it might need the tranny software updated. He told me that it sounds like that is the issue. There is no record of the tranny software ever being updated.

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of issue? If a new tranny is required how much am I looking at? $2000? $3000? more? The overhead glass over the rear seats and the cargo area is badly cracked, I am told it doesn't leak, but it does look bad. The rear cargo door is also not opening.....dealer said it is a normal repair, a couple hundred dollars.

One cosmetic issue that will drive me crazy is that the dash is cracked around the passenger air bag. Has anyone changed the dash out?

Is it worth looking into in more detail or should I run away? thanks for your help. This has been a great forum for my three discoverys. thanks again. Phil

looking at 2005 LR3 125k miles new motor at 90k miles

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$6,200 for a new tranny: Rover ZF 6 Speed Transmission | Rover Transmission

From this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...r-53535/page2/
"we rebuild these all the time at our shop. 50% of the time its a burnt shift solenoid the other 50% is a new valve body (not the whole ecu) we replace the valve body and new torque converter your good to go parts repair you are looking at 2000 plus fluid and installation if its the actual valve body. if its a solenoid your looking at parts of $200 not incluiding labor or fluid."

I believe someone posted a rear cargo door repair write-up/how to here; might have to look around.

Cracked glass panoramic roof will probably cost a lot; same with the dash (if it can be replaced). Might be able to find a detailer/upholstery person to repair it to make it look decent; these people go to dealerships regularly to fix up tears in leather and plastic.

How much is it listed for?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default If it is cheap, buy it.

I agree with the tranny comments, probably minor problems but will still be a two thousand dollar fix by the time it is figured out. Most LR dealers, (and Mercedes etc), do not know very much about the tranny other than how to take out and install new. You will have to find a independent, (not a franchise or chain), who knows ZF transmissions - that can be difficult. You will also want to change the tranny oil and filter while fussing with the whatever. The link below provides some info on our ZF 6HP26.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

The glass roof will cost money; dealer will have to tell you what glass shop does them as again, it is the experience thing. The shop that does their windscreens might have the experience, but again that is the key - not someone who is specializes in Chev's.

The rear hatch, well you can turn that into fuss, but the fix only draws a bit of blood; also the dealer should have experience at the fix already - routine problem. The two links below are possible solutions and at least highlight where the problems can be. To fix, you have to get the upper and lower hatch open and that is the problem; fixing is easy.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Liftgate release mod

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Switch Replacement Rear Upper Hatch Release

Also once you get the upper door open, look at where the two upper struts attach to the body. Often one or both of the ball screws has just about rotated itself undone - one undone, fixing that can be near impossible. If one is loose, make certain you rotate the hex in the tightening direction - the nut on the stud will probably be on its last thread so you will get only one chance. The nut hidden behind and within is just a plain old nut, no holder, and it falls somewhere never to be found but more significantly, you cannot get in behind to put on a new nut.

There will be a number of other lesser problems as well, so price is the key; then plan on spending time and money to get it back to where it should be; it will then be a good ride.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The seller was asking $9900. The price is what caught my attention. The truck just has too many issues to deal with. to me, the truck is worth about $6000. Even with that, the condition of the truck is just okay. For me, I would rather have a nice garage queen that has been used by a soccer mom. These are just too fine an automobile and there are too many nice examples to drive an ugly one, especially one that has so many mechanical and cosmetic issues. This forum is a great resource. Thanks to all. Phil

Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call. You could be in it for $10k before you know it. Best case would be $2k. I wonder if you offered $5-6,000 with the tranny the way it is? It's a $$$$$ grenade just waiting to blow. The glass is pricey too. All else equal, you could get a sweetheart deal if you get a good price and the fixes are on the low end of estimates.

Then again, there's always another one.