LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Air vs Coil in depth comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sunlion
Perhaps someone can shed light on what I can do to make the lights go off. The dunlop module can make the red warning light go away but then I get the bong and can't go over 30 mph warning. With the red ligh, I get no bong or warning. I'm getting engine fault, tranny fault, suspension fault etc, but the truck runs fine.
We did our coil conversion through Atlantic British which came with a plug and play module that plugs in under the driver’s side dash; eliminates all dash lights and such for a smooth transition to coils. Sounds like a nice setup you have for the coils themselves however I’m unfamiliar with that specific product and how it affects the electronics.

As you mentioned having issues in the cold with your air setup; we live where it’s very cold and commonly have issues with our EAS in severe cold; meaning below -5 or more. Here’s a pic from last week when it was -19 out, which is 51 degrees below freezing! Walked out in the morning and it was dropped down to the bump stops but those severe temps it’s understandable that the rubber will construct and the integrity of seals in valance blocks and such will be violated. When it warmed up (to 10 degrees!) I just had to jack the rig up front and rear to take some strain off the compressor and all as well in the world again. 👍

-19 degrees is not that much fun! Hands don’t work that well, neither does rubber seals (lol!)

Old 03-02-2022, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

@sunlion HD or open diff? Armor? Tires?

Old 03-02-2022, 04:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
@sunlion HD or open diff? Armor? Tires?

TF sliders but no other armour as yet. Tires are BFG KM3 285/65/18. Diff is factory electronic locker. Working on hidden winch or ARB winch bumper and bash guard of some sort. Need to get EAS disabled so I regain function of the terrain response functions.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=sdjp;816149]We did our coil conversion through Atlantic British which came with a plug and play module that plugs in under the driver’s side dash; eliminates all dash lights and such for a smooth transition to coils. Sounds like a nice setup you have for the coils themselves however I’m unfamiliar with that specific product and how it affects the electronics.

@sdjp: My coil kit is the dunlop kit with an EAS module but I don't think it is functioning properly (purchased at huge discount for that reason.) Will either go to Indy shop and see if the can turn off the EAS for a small fee or purchase Gap tool. I'm quite familiar with the 3 sitting on bump stops. Figured out that if I used 2 or 3 jack points, it will clear the red warning light and activate the compressor and inflate the system. But this was a PITA. I had previously rebuilt all 3 valve blocks, and dryer and installed new compressor. Currently have a fitting at the end of tank reservoir which has a pressure gauge and air hose so I can use the EAS compressor for an air source. Can get one tire inflated before the pressure gets low enough. The compressor overheat safety circuit turns it off and renders this idea non functional. Need to figure out a fix to keep the compressor running and air tank full. Planning to keep the EAS compressor in place for this reason as it would be able to inflate the tires mighty quick. I don't think the compressor will overheat running a bit longer than LR intended. Its beefy and LR is being conservative by shutting it off.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched the second video. Fun to watch and well produced. That first real "test" when the coiler got high centered had me wondering ( and maybe you mentioned this and I missed it)...is that conversion a standard height? If so, I'm wondering if a lift kit would have made any difference there?

I just had the Atlantic British coil system put in my 2007 LR3 with 180k last summer. I live in Minnesota and for what I use it for - it'll provide me with years of ( hopefully) trouble free driving. I do miss the air a bit but had replaced the compressor once already and a couple shocks were going and the compressor was was on the way out again so I decided to eliminate that headache. I don't think there is a right or wrong on this deal and I get that the EAS is part of the DNA of these things, but I'm happy so far with the coils.

Thanks - Looking forward to seeing the rest of these.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
sdjp (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 07:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DryFly Trout
I just watched the second video. Fun to watch and well produced. That first real "test" when the coiler got high centered had me wondering ( and maybe you mentioned this and I missed it)...is that conversion a standard height? If so, I'm wondering if a lift kit would have made any difference there?

I just had the Atlantic British coil system put in my 2007 LR3 with 180k last summer. I live in Minnesota and for what I use it for - it'll provide me with years of ( hopefully) trouble free driving. I do miss the air a bit but had replaced the compressor once already and a couple shocks were going and the compressor was was on the way out again so I decided to eliminate that headache. I don't think there is a right or wrong on this deal and I get that the EAS is part of the DNA of these things, but I'm happy so far with the coils.

Thanks - Looking forward to seeing the rest of these.
Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for joining the conversation. You’ve made some great points here.

First, thank you for your kind words on the production quality; our videographer and editor Aaron has been busting his hump putting all this together while he works two jobs and runs a family. So I know he’ll really appreciate this!

I believe I mentioned it somewhere but the Atlantic British coil conversion we have is the biggest one you can get; paired with the Old Man Emu coils which give a claimed 2” of lift over stock. So you can see the disadvantage in that regard to ground clearance. Now I’ve been made aware of the Lucky 8 SYA kit (essentially spacers with limiting straps so you don’t destroy the CV’s) which will provide another 2” or so of lift. We’re going to do it.

For where you are located with the constant cold temps coils is the way to go. Many folks don’t take that into account as severe cold doesn’t plague much of the U.S. or if so only rarely. Our EAS LR3 lives in Wyoming. We make it work because we travel so much but during the harsh winters here (-19 last week) it gets on the bumps solely because the rubber seals get compromised. No fault if it’s own, just nature throwing all she has at you (lol!)

Old 03-06-2022, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 212 Likes on 186 Posts

The 3rd video win for EAS was a no brainer but i also believe that the EAS D3 won the first round as the coiler was scraping where the EAS equipped disco wasn't.

sdjp (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 01:05 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by loanrangie
The 3rd video win for EAS was a no brainer but i also believe that the EAS D3 won the first round as the coiler was scraping where the EAS equipped disco wasn't.
I understand what you mean, however we feel that particular obstacle really crossed the line into off-roading or rocks as we’re calling it in the series instead of overlanding. Many folks want to use these rigs as true overlanders and we want to give them a fair shake that the coil makes an incredible rig for that too. It was a big obstacle and there were much smarter lines for us to take however we chose the most aggressive one just to see what would happen; then threw it in because it’s a fun bit of video. There’s enough of an aggressive comparison in the rocks coming up!

Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I guess we know which rig will win the rocks competition!

sdjp (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
i guess we know which rig will win the rocks competition!
🤷‍♂️… 😆🤣

Quick Reply: LR3 Air vs Coil in depth comparison