LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. I can't remember if I've worked on a set of L320 SC Brembos. But if they are this style then they wouldn't have separate brackets, that's right. Brembo does also make floating calipers that do require brackets, for some applications.

Originally Posted by Miguel987

Here is an example of brembo brakes. I just looked up Range Rover brembo brakes so these are probably not the model that fit the LR3. Brembo brakes do away with caliper brackets or caliper carriers. Just a massive thing that straddles the disk and bolts on where the bracket/carriers do.

The following users liked this post:
Miguel987 (09-22-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 02:53 PM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brembo Brake Upgrade

Alright. I have been meaning to post an update. The brake upgrade was pretty easy overall. I did run into one issue. When you are shopping for the Range Rover sport brembo brakes that fit the lr3 you may run into brembo brakes that are meant to fit the L320 chassis but you need the brembo brakes that fit the L319 chassis. I ran into this issue after ordering a set of brembo brakes that said fit an 06 Range Rover sport but had the filaments for the L320 chassis. I was able to return them and get a refund then searched for brakes that fit the L319 chassis. From the research that I have done, the Range Rover sports that were produced along with the LR3's only carried the L319 chassis. There may be other years that differ, idk but it all comes down to the steering knuckle difference... regarding the brembo brakes. The easiest way I found to identify brembo brakes that did come off of a Range Rover sport with the L319 chassis is to compare the brake fluid bleeding screws. If the bleeding screws match these sold by Atlantic British, then most likely they will fit. https://www.roverparts.com/brakes/ca...um/SEB500090G/

(please let me know if I am wrong of the chassis put on the Range Rover sports made the same years as the Lr3's)

That was the first part of my screening process on eBay. I then tried to find info of what vehicle they came from using a vin. Once I got the right brakes it was a pretty easy upgrade. I already had the larger disks, dust covers, and new brake pads. At that point it was a bolt on bolt off process that took like 4 hours. I work pretty slow but was able to get it done in one afternoon.

Brake performance improved by... I would say 30 percent. The main reason I wanted to upgrade is because I pull a small camper and with a heavy vehicle as the L33, I did notice the not so great braking performance. I feel a lot better now especially going down the interstate. When driving without the camper I feel more confident weaving in and out of traffic.

Money wise I ended up spending right around $700 but maybe someone could do better if they are good at shopping. Brembo brakes are pretty expensive new and I got a solid pair so I figure it was worth it after factoring in the improved performance.

MaineLR3 (01-12-2024)
Old 11-15-2023, 07:50 AM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguel987

Here is an example of brembo brakes. I just looked up Range Rover brembo brakes so these are probably not the model that fit the LR3. Brembo brakes do away with caliper brackets or caliper carriers. Just a massive thing that straddles the disk and bolts on where the bracket/carriers do.
Those are the same brake calipers and rotors on my wifes MINI Cooper (except hers are red) and it has 18 inch wheels with a 45 mm offset to accommodate the calipers. And yes, they bolt directly to the steering knuckle, no caliper carrier needed.

Jeff

Old 01-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

@Miguel987 What size wheels were you using when you installed the Brembo's? Did they fit on 18" wheels?

Old 01-12-2024, 10:48 AM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel size

Originally Posted by MaineLR3
@Miguel987 What size wheels were you using when you installed the Brembo's? Did they fit on 18" wheels?
My LR3 has the 19” stock rims. I don’t know if they would fit an18” rim. Let me know if you find out.

MaineLR3 (01-12-2024)