LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compatibility between LR3 phone BT and aftermarket BT adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 11:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Compatibility between LR3 phone BT and aftermarket BT adapter

My 2006 LR3 HSE does just fine with phone calls using the truck's built-in Bluetooth system, though as you all know, BT audio from a smartphone was still six years away when this puppy came off the factory line. I've survived just fine with running an inexpensive 3.5mm audio cable from the Aux input on the rear of the center console to my phone sitting on the dash when I want to listen to music or anything else on the phone, but because my iPhone SE doesn't have an aux jack, I've got to also use a cumbersome splitter Lightening\3.5 adapter to be able to get both power to and audio from my phone at the same time. Yes, I know, this is a First World Problem, but I hate the pile of cords climbing up the dash.

I've tried reading all of the threads about either installing a Bluetooth adapter into the Aux circuit inside the console or just getting it done in 60 seconds with a USB-powered Bluetooth receiver adapter connected to a charger in the cigarette lighter, and by this time I know what I want to do. What I DON'T know is whether connecting my phone through that adapter for music\etc. will interfere with the perfectly fine operation of the existing factory phone call BT system. Does connecting a phone to an external Bluetooth adapter override the existing connection with the built-in phone BT? If it does, I'll just have to live with the 3.5mm cable workaround because I don't want to lose handsfree calling.

Thanks for your advice here (and apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered...)

Nick in Palm Springs

Old 01-08-2024, 07:43 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use Apple so can't guarantee the same for you... I use the Firefly BT in the aux connector and my phone has no issue maintaining connections with both LR and Firefly simultaneously. Sound is excellent, and my phone manages flips between music and calls (as calls come in or are made and when terminated) well. I got a good quality charger and a very short cord to power the BT unit from the jack beside it.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

I have factory phone BT, and also added the eBay aux BT board for music (via rear aux wiring - undetectable)
Both work fine simultaneously - call rings, music mutes, answer/hang up on steering wheel, music resumes

edit: I have an iPhone 14 pro

Best addition I have made to date

Old 01-08-2024, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Excellent intel... Knowing that at least two people had no issues with compatibility now provides more than enough datapoints for me to hit the "Buy Now" button for a Firefly LDEC. If it works well, I'll think about doing the internal BT board wiring and then use the Firefly for one of my other pre-Bluetooth rides.

Cheers!

Nick in Palm Springs

Old 01-08-2024, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My landrover phone module overrides the after market Bluetooth module I added when listening to music. The module I bought also calms with a Mic I put that I didn’t connect. I suspect it would work if I attached it, not sure about how it would interface with the land rover phone module though.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Lenzda, are you saying that the aftermarket BT module **never** works because the factory phone BT always overrides it, or that the override **only** happens when a phone call is in progress but not at other times?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 01-09-2024, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling

So here's my report on using the Tunai Firefly LDAC (there are other Firefly devices, but the LDAC seemed to be the best one for my needs). For $39.99 on Amazon you get the very small USB device with the 3.5mm on one end plus an additional 2 foot 3.5mm audio extension to use if needed (in an LR3 with both a cig lighter socket and the AUX jack so close to each other on the rear of the center console, you don't need the extension if your car charger isn't super long). The packaging insists that the user update the Firefly's firmware, though I had read on the Interwebs that it was possible to skip that step. I decided to do the update to be a good boy, but the package didn't say how. I went to the Apple App Store and quickly found and installed the Tunai Connect app on my iPhone. Sticking the device into my computer for a steady source of power, I chose the firmware update option on the app and that took about two minutes to download and install.

Everything worked as hoped. Just stuck the USB end into a cigarette lighter socket charger and the 3.5mm plug into the AUX jack, and once paired and the LR3 audio set to AUX, the sound was nice and clean. Max volume on my iPhone and max on the LR3 audio (#35) isn't as loud as what I get when playing a CD, but it'll do fine, especially when there are passengers who don't like ear splitting volume as much as I do. The Tunai app has an EQ adjustment that I tried fiddling with but couldn't hear any apprecible change in tone. Not a problem. Test phone call from my house to my iPhone in the LR3 was perfect: the music paused, I could hear the phone ring, and I could listen and talk over the built-in BT phone capability. Hanging up brought me right back to the music. I loved that I could finally listen to the phone audio through the LR3 without all of those wires. Even if the unsightly aspect of the wiring was ignored, the bigger problem was the audio cable getting beat up with people and dogs and camping equipment getting in and out of the truck. Eventually they'd short or give up or go all buzzy.

There are downsides to be aware of. At least in my LR3 the lighter socket is hard wired to the battery, so power to the BT adapter will always be on. I read somewhere that the adapter's draw is just 0.5 watts when the vehicle is off (it might have been from Tunai responding to a question on Amazon), which is not a lot for a daily driver but might be problematic if you park for a month with a weak battery. The solution in such instances is, of course, to just pull the USB charger a little bit out of the lighter socket when you park, and hopefully I'll remember to do that when I don't think I'll be firing up the LR3 for a while. The other issue is that there are now a tiny USB device and a thin little plug sticking out backwards from the console, both of which would be vulnerable to errant knees. I already own a 90 degree elbow 3.5mm adapter so the plug can lie flush against the back of the console and that's an easy fix. Bigger issue is the device now sitting at the end of an already big charger. My hopefully successful workaround involves two more purchases. First is my order of an Anker 320 Car Charger with dual ports for $9.99 from Amazon. The dual ports will allow someone to use one USB port for charging or whatever while I'm using the other port for the Firefly. But the reason why I bought this car charger is that it's supposed to be almost flush with the socket when inserted. That'll help with the profile issue. There are more flush chargers available, but they look like to be a total pain to pull out when I need to for battery saving purposes (this one has a small lip that can be held for removal). The other purchase is a USB 90 degree elbow ("USB 2.0 Adapter 90 Degree Male to Female Combo Vertical Up and Down Angle Coupler Connector") for $6.99 on Amazon. There are cheaper elbows out there but this seemed to be the best one for laying the adapter almost flat against the back of the console without covering up the second charging port. They'll both be here in a couple days.

So all of this worth it? I think so. The better and more elegant solution is obviously Douglastic's BT board that's buried inside the console, which presumably could be wired to a switched circuit for juice and eliminate the battery draw and exposed electronics issues that I have (though they are very minor issues). Problem is that while I'm competent enough as a mechanic to get the engine out of my VW Bus and onto the garage floor by myself in 58 minutes, I am the world's worst solderer and try to avoid that sort of fine circuit board-level work when I can. I might change my mind though the first time a little kid kicks the Firefly and cracks the forty buck thing wide open. We'll see.

Cheers,

Nick

The following users liked this post:
douglastic (01-09-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:08 PM
Three Wheeling

So to wrap up this thread, I'm attaching a couple images of the set up with the small lighter socket charger, the L-shaped USB connector, and the L-shaped 3.5mm audio connector. One could probably get even a more flush profile with a smaller charger, but this is good enough for me. The USB 90 degree connector is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the second charging socket, which allows rear passengers to recharge their devices without interrupting the BT connection. Most of the time when I get into the LR3 the BT connection is immediately reestablished between my phone and the Firefly, though once I had to manually connect via my iPhone. The only "annoyance" if it can be characterized as such is that the Firefly flashes red when it's seeking a connection, and that's going to always be the case when the truck is parked and my iPhone is elsewhere due to the 24/7 power going to the Firefly. Not a big deal, and it sort of looks like a security alarm warning light so maybe there's a benefit.

Clean view from the rear

Minimal profile from the side

Hope this helps someone making the decision about the best way to go... Total cost: about $60 plus tax for the Firefly LDAC BT adapter, low profile dual slot cigarette lighter charger, L-shaped USB connector, and L-shaped 3.5mm audio connector. I'm a happy guy.

Nick in Palm Springs

The following users liked this post:
SENC (01-11-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The firefly looks like a great option. In regards to your question, my aftermarket Bluetooth module works perfectly. Connects automatically when key is in on position, phone calls come in via the but in LR phone module and overrides my Bluetooth module. When the call hangs up the music starts playing again!