LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 A/C making a humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 A/C making a humming noise

Hi all! I am new the forum and perform a lot of my on repairs on my 2005 LR3. So far the only trip to the dealer was a couple of recalls and when I left my sunroof open. Lately I have started hearing a humming noise coming from my dash when I push the AUTO button for the A/C. If I turn on the ECON mode the noise goes away. I have tried to find it on other websites what could be wrong but with no luck. I hope that the experts here can help!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Where is the noise coming from, are you positive it is not under the hood? It could be related to the ducting system internally, compressor, blower motor. Really more details are needed to figure this out.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Hey! I checked under the hood today and did not hear any humming noise as the A/C was on. At first I thought it could be the A/C compressor clutch as it could make that noise when it begins to fail but I have yet to determine that. When I push the econ button on the A/C control panel the noise goes away and I think that is because econ mode engages the air side economizer and shuts off the compressor. As I am driving with the A/C in A/C mode the hum noise get louder as the engine speed increases and the noise comes from the dash area from A pillar to A pillar. I checked the fan at different speeds but it is not making any strange noises. So... I think it could be the compressor but never had to deal with an A/C compressor before and what could fix it. I did read somewhere that there is a chance that an A/C line that has refrigerant flowing through it could have some crap built up in it but not sure what to think about that. What else can I consider?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You need to proper equipment to check your AC. Any A/C service equipped workshop should be able to at least check the pressures, freon levels and so on. There are some pressure operated valves in the dash as well, which there was an upgraded part for. The issue is that it made a fart sound when engaged. Perhaps it makes a different sound when it fails completely. Compressors are known to go bad.

Perhaps you can record the sound, so everyone can render an opinion.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Thanks! The fart sound or a fart ! I will try to take it to a specalist shop and record and place on the website.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Drifting
Default Audio of A/C humming

Hi all! I recorded the sound coming from my dash in my truck. significant sound started at 13 seconds and continued on until 25 seconds or so. I used my blackberry to record the sound and the volume is a lttle low but if you turn it up then it is better. Hope someone can help!

Attached Files
File Type: zip
LR3 ac humming.zip (78.7 KB, 492 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like a bearing... so are you sure this is coming from the CAB and not under the hood.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Drifting

I will take another look today as it is will be nice and warm but when I open the hood and listen I don't hear the noise from the engine as much as I hear it from the inside of the truck. If it is a bearing issue what is the best thing to do?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If it was a bearing issue, it would be on the compressor itself, so I would expect you could tell.

Tracing noises can be quite tricky, perhaps you can borrow something like an auto stethoscope. To try and pinpoint the noise. I've looked around on other forums and haven't quite found anything like you describe.

Automotive Stethoscope | AutoZone.com

Let's try something else, and identify parts that might generate a noise.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 A/C making a humming noise-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by unseenone; 03-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So, whatever happened?

Quick Reply: LR3 A/C making a humming noise