LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017 | 09:14 AM
Winching

Bbyer, are the diffs on our trucks Dana units? If so, there must be a gearing upgrade available... just postulating.

Old 04-04-2017 | 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Yes, they are DANA Spicer manufacturer.

Per the various DANA advertising pdf's attached to post #40, yes, DANA invented and manufacturers them under their Spicer brand as well as other parts for Land Rover.

As to their being different gear sets available, I do not know, but there is a lot more to those differentials than a few gears.

These are not exactly the sort of differential one finds in a pickup, however Lincoln in their Navigator may have used them.

Navigators have a lot of Land Rover in them or perhaps the 3's have a lot of Navigator in them. The 3 preceded the newer Navigators, so I think if one looked into the Navigator drive train, one might find suitable bits.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)-lr3-rear-locker-cut-showing-disc-plates-big.jpg   LR3 front differential breather cap (TSB replacement part)-lr3-electronic-rear-differential.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (04-04-2017)
Old 09-25-2020 | 04:45 PM
Drifting

I know this is an ancient thread, but I found it when researching front diff fluid capacities. I decided to order the replacement breather cap and make the swap before doing the differential fluid service. The cap came in the mail today and I specifically remembered that you had said you could blow through the replacement cap, bbyer, but I tried the same and couldn't. It is the genuine Land Rover part.

Old 09-25-2020 | 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Default blow and suck with some difficulty

Originally Posted by evsteroo
I know this is an ancient thread, but I found it when researching front diff fluid capacities. I decided to order the replacement breather cap and make the swap before doing the differential fluid service. The cap came in the mail today and I specifically remembered that you had said you could blow through the replacement cap, bbyer, but I tried the same and couldn't. It is the genuine Land Rover part.
I noted in the link below where I said that I could not blow in either direction re the old one I cut off and inferred that I could re the new one.

More specifically, I note that per the file in the link referenced below I said with reference to the new Made in Poland LR019450 air breather:
You can with some difficulty, both blow and suck thru the breather filter material. The Gore Tex filter material has what are called hydrophobic and oleophobic properties. This means the filter material keeps oil in and water out, while at the same time, allowing air pressure to slowly equalize, (air permeable). Additionally, the transfer of dust, salt, and road debris is inhibited.

The link below is to a number of related files which I presume you may be familiar with and hence your reason for ordering the LR4 specification vent for your LR3 front differential, LR part number LR019450.

I see many of the files within the link have near 1,500 views, not too good by YouTube standards but OK for Land Rover.

I assume that what you received looks like the one I installed; also that it came from a real Land Rover dealer or someone such as BP Utah or Atlantic British? It if was Amazon, I think I would be ordering a replacement from one of the afor mentioned.

I would be interested in what the LR parts bag said as to country of origin. I note mine said Made in Poland, per that previously referenced jpg in the file link below. I bought it from my local Land Rover dealer.
Land Rover parts come from many places, but there are countries that routinely fake LR parts (and other vehicles as well). These parts magically appear genuine and of course have all the appropriate markings.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...hp?album=23952

Old 09-25-2020 | 07:00 PM
Drifting

Mine came from RM European in Colorado, which supposedly sells genuine OEM parts, and the markings on the bag do claim that it was made in Poland. I can blow through the filter, but I find it very difficult. I do, however, understand that this part was not designed for human lungs and my breathing test isn't quite a scientific indication of whether it will do its job effectively. Thanks very much for your reply!

Old 09-30-2020 | 08:24 AM
Mudding

Has anybody tried the ARB breather kit which allows you to have the diffs, transfer case and transmission all plumbed to one breather?