LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 hse

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 HSE - Worst car I ever bought.

I bought a used 2006 LR3 HSE a few months back and it has been nothing but trouble.

The dealership I bought it from was a large, seemingly high end place... not a corner lot. They made me sign a bunch of forms that certify that I know I was buying a used vehicle with no warranty. This, apparently is how they sell all their used cars.... this LR3 was supposedly traded in by a dentist who was the only previous owner (saw the carfax)... so it was supposed to be good.

problems started a month or so after owning it.
1. if you leave it sitting for a week or so the battery dies.

2. large clunk when going over speed bumps or offroad.... which has now turned into a violent death wobble when braking. goes away with hard braking.. worse with softer braking.

3. I get random screen warnings all the time... one day it will be DSC, HDC Fault System Not Available, parking sensors.... ect...

one day there was a transmission warning and the thing wouldn't turn... gave it 20 minutes (me sitting in a parking lot), then it starts up just fine.

Got a check engine light, went to autozone and they did a reading... said is was an o2 sensor.. cleared it.. hasn't came back for months now.

sometimes ill just be driving calmly down the road and hear a loud ping...

4. as of last night... the ac doesn't blow out cold air... blower works... just not cold.

5. random low battery mode while driving... radio wont go past 20... coincidentaly, this happened right when the AC quit. But now the radio goes back up but still no cold ac.
I love the ride of the car... love the driving position, off road capabilities, ect.... but its having a helluva lot of issues.

Im not sure if its worth trying to sell and just accept my losses or what.

Because i think with the cost of the work i need done (im thinking control arms bushing for the wobble and clunk) that I will have to invest a few thousand into this..

the chevy dealer i bought it from is two hours away.. so its not like I can just roll up there anytime. Thinking of taking it to a land rover dealer (1 hour away) and see if they can reflash the computer, check some fuses/relays or something.. since they would know more than the chevy dealer anyway.

uuhhh.... this suck because i love the car... just hate the issues.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 06-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Overlanding

:::::UPDATE 10 minutes later::::::

after not using the LR3 for 36 hours but opening the tail gate a few times to get stuff in and out... its dead again.

not even the dome lights come on...

Had the battery and charging system check a month ago.. everything was good... all the cores were working... now im sitting with a dead vehicle again....

ugghh.....

Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

All of your issues are easily addressed... You just need to decide if you WANT to or not. Sounds like control arms, battery, MAF Sensor and maybe a brake switch.... But you knew all that already or else you're not trying very hard. Decide now whether or not you really want to own an LR3...they are a pain in the ***. They are awesome...but they are a pain in the ***.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Overlanding

Not trying very hard? Ive done what I can short of driving 70 miles to the land rover dealer to address these problems. But new issues keep popping up daily. Im not a mechanic, Im a photogragher... so i dont have a lift in my garage.

Ive had the die hard gold battery and alternator tested... they said all the cores are fine and the alternator is charging just fine at a local dealer... cost me $60 for that.

Im not really confident with the local Mississippi auto repair scene to ask them about some of the issues.. from what I have read all of these could be cause by a frikin brake light or something like that. How would a local guy know about that? He could end up fixing one thing that had nothing to do with the other ...that's why im going to have to suck it up and go to the dealer soon.

But if i can fix some of these issues on my own through a relay, fuse, ext... then I will do that and just have the dealer fix the bushings.

Not sure a new MAF sensor would fix the DSC errors, air conditioner, HDC Fault System Not Available, transmission errors, parking sensors errors and uneven leveling of the car after sitting a few days... but what do i know?

Not sure what else you think I should be doing about all of these on my own.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Being how far you are from a Land Rover service center, you should _definitely_ invest in an LR3 code reader. The best option out there right now is the IID Tool (Iidtool - Land Rover Part DA6405 seems to have the best price). This way you'll be able to pull up exactly what codes are wrong and it will tell you what they mean.

Right before I replaced my battery last year, I had codes coming up for the transmission, DSC and HDC. As soon as I replaced the battery, they went away.

And the clunking sound going over bumps is most likely your ARB (anti rollbar bushes).

Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Shop manual - free download below