LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 - Key Fob Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 12:05 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LR3 - Key Fob Repair?

Hi all. It's been a long time since I've posted, mostly because our LR3 has been running surprisingly well over the years. Recently I decided to replace the key fob cover as the original had worn through the buttons and since we live in a rainy part of the world I wanted to protect the only key fob we have for the vehicle. Well in my attempt to open the case I basically chiseled the end of the inner circuit board off. I can unlock and lock the car, bring up the dash cluster and radio in position one...but I can not long start the car. I can only assume the part I chiseled was the transponder since it's located closest to the sterring column (see pic)

I've already tried and failed to program a (new/blank) replacement key fob using the IID Tool but it apparently requires that the first key be able to start the vehicle before you can program another key.

We live on an island so getting the LR3 to the nearest dealer means a tow on a ferry and then another 90 miles. I've called the delaership and they can't (or won't) help any other way then bringing the car to them. I'll mention here as others have before me...this entire process is silly, epsecialy since I'd imagine LR owners don't but them to drive them around cities (or maybe they do). OK, rant off.

One idea I've had is to take the key fob, the new key fob and the BCU out of the vehicle to the dealership...to see if we can install in a another LR3 and program the key to the BCU (as I understand it, this is where the key to car programming is stored). What I don't know is how ridiculous or possible this idea might be. I'd like need a secondary LR shop as the dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything special to help.

The other option might be to try and find and resolder the chiseled component. Again, all advice welcome.

Last edited by Airstream345; 12-11-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Some creative solder/repair work might work on that...

Old 12-12-2021, 04:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You can try getting a complete FOB from Amazon or even the dealer, swap the cut key to the new fob (not hard just one very small roll pin and it comes off) then program the replacement with a GAP tool. You can search on here and should find a few people that have coded their own keys. At one point I heard the dealer would sell a cut and programmed key based off the VIN but I don't know if they still do that.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you try taking both insides to a competent generic electronics repair shop?
They may be able to make sense of the mangled circuitry and repair it using bits from both boards?

I always assumed that rectangular block was just the magnet that charges the battery while in the ignition
Likely that bit isn't completing the "handshake" to start the vehicle - but you can still use the buttons to lock/unlock

Good luck - hope someone can repair for you!

Old 12-19-2021, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

That mangled item is I think the inductor L1 which is used by the vehicle to induce an interrogation signal into the key fob and elicit a valid reply from the fob EEPROM (as well as charging the FOB battery), thus enabling the vehicle to start. As Douglastic mentioned, take it (and the new key circuit board) to a general electronics shop who can do "surface mount" work and see if they can remove L1 on your new board and replace L1 on the damaged board (as long as there is no other damage). If that's not possible, a repair service in the UK is https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/disco...ey-repair.html (must be similar places in USA) then there are some places that can get you a new key from your VIN and a few other pieces of ID to confirm you own the machine, be prepared to spend up to about $300? for that service. Google can be your friend when searching for help, but beware of fraudsters, good luck!

Last edited by enb54; 12-19-2021 at 10:22 PM.