LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Navigation Disc update?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You are probably right however, it's pretty annoying, the NAV system adds a lot of cost. They should sell updates for less, considering the competition, as you mention.

It seems more sensible to sell 10 updates at 49.95, rather than sell 1 and 200, while some idiot sells updated "dealer copies" (no such thing) read my lips, pirated copies for 50 bucks a piece online.

That's the problems when companies get too big I guess.

The following users liked this post:
TOM R (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's sad. One of the main reasons I sold my SE and bought the HSE was to get the navigation system. Well at least the touch screen will still show the 4X4 info, even if the maps are crap.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default $US 199.00 for 2011/12 disc?

Originally Posted by unseenone
If you have an old map and 2012 is the newest available, it certainly will be an improvement. Just order on their web site.
Is below the link re the website you are referencing?

It appears "they" NavTeq? have the 2011/12 for $US 199.00.

LR3 - 2007 - Land Rover - North America Map Update DVD Version 2011-2012 -

Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes BB, that's the one I ordered a while back, it works fine.

BTW check out my disco gallery and look at the hitch and see what you think, or drop me a mail.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Why did LR not think of that?

Your hitch adapter design looks neat and very versatile plus also appears stronger than other designs I have seen.

I assume one can purchase an off the shelf 2" Reese ball mount with the desired drop and it just pins in and one is set to go. Also it appears that the adapter will work well with those trailer hitch type bike racks as well.

It looks like there is still room for the trailer electrical connectors; also the shiny loop is the tie point for safety chains I presume.

A real advantage over the LR factory plow unit is that there is no loss of clearance at the rear; nothing is hanging low.

Now all you need is the Sankey trailer.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Navigation Disc update?-tlt-d3-lr3-raised-bumper-hitch.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. As you know, there has been much talk about problems with the current LR design. Several folks offer overpriced junk options, so it was time for something more serious.

The top loop could be used for the safety chains, but rather intended as a recovery point, and the existing safety chain loops could be used.

Yes, standard hitch receiver should do the trick. UK folks may need something different, waiting for some feedback on that one.

Standard OE wiring kit can be installed, and can be used.

On loss of clearance, correct, it solves that problem, and also you can remove and refit a full size spare. With the current config, those of use who have 285 format tires can't fit a factory plow without dropping the spare, at least that has been my experience.

Working on the possibility of a custom plastic cover. Sending it off for certification later in the month. Should go for less than half of the Aus one, less than a new LR one, and less than a salvage yard one.

Last edited by unseenone; 11-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Plastic Cover would look good.

If you mean a plastic cover like on the Suburban's, Tahoe's, and the Escalade, that does give the vehicle a bit of class.

I think the UK/EU will be OK with the 2" receiver as that is starting to be common over there. The same with Australia, but you will need DOT approvals as that matters there.

Iceland is also a market even though the population of the whole country is only 325,000. I was over there in September and was surprised at how common the D3 and D4 is there. What was also common was the Ford F-150; there were also Navigators but they were a bit rare. The Grand Cherokee is also routine, but the Wrangler, not so. About the only GM about were Chevy Daewoo's.

For me, except for the local dealer here in our village, the closest LR dealer north of me is in Iceland.

A Suzuki mini car rents for about $200 per day; a Land Cruiser about $600 and a Defender, double that - something about maintenance but if you want to go to anywhere other than either the Blue Lagoon hot springs or Reykjavik, well ....

A swim cost about $US60 each so nothing is exactly cheap there.

Since 1942, the USAF has had a base there, but it was sort of shut down at the end of the Cold War.

Day trips to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.

The jpg below is your typical Icelander found under the winter parka - August is probably the best time for a sales trip - July can still have blizzards, and September is the volcano season followed by winter - hence the value of the hot springs.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 Navigation Disc update?-blue-lagoon5.jpg  

Last edited by bbyer; 11-01-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Why do I sense a sudden surge of Land Rover enthusiasts heading to Iceland this July..

Thanks for the info. Definitely plan to get the appropriate certifications.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 2005 LR3 and a 2006 Range Rover Sport. Both had the Nav System. Will an newer disc work in either without any kind of upgrade? Just pop in the new disc and drive? Based on the thread, will 2012 be the newest disc for our antique system? thanks Phil

Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

A ran said the guy selling the 2016 disc works, look in for sale section

Quick Reply: LR3 Navigation Disc update?