LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Navigation Disc update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default thanks for the heads up

I just put an order in for an updated disc.

Basically the "new" disc uses the 2012 Nav software but with more current data replacing the outdated data.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

This series LR Only need an upgrade when they are from 2004/2005.
All cars operating with 2006+ DVD have the latest firmware.
My 2015-2016 update DVD comes with the same "loading.kwi" file as the 2011-2012 DVD and therefore will always be recognized, also after a power off period !!
LR in Europe work with same denso nav system, hence I know the trick !
I have responded to your pm too !
BR Ruud

The following 2 users liked this post by dijkvr:
bbyer (05-20-2016), DustyLBottoms (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

How much?

....is it worth it to keep the 2005 DVD for retention of the NAV-on-the-move hack?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Nav on the Move Hack - interesting question?

In my case, I got the Nav on the Move feature via my BlackBox Evo software, hence it is my hope that I will still have Nav on the Move feature.

Yes, I did initially use the disc Hack but when I got my Evo, then I implemented the software install and got what I hope is a permanent Nav on the Move - works now anyway so will find out for certain in a few weeks time.

I think the same would apply to the Gap IID software as well.

For me, the cost with postage was about 31.50 Euros via PayPal. That is about 35 to 40 US dollars.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Three Wheeling

I have no experience with the "hack" enabling to use the menu while driving.
If this is done by disabling / misleading the vehicle speed signal than the new DVD will not change that .
If there has been a fix via the "diagnostic" menu, then this may be either reset by the later DVD ( same is applicable for the 2011-2012 DVD ) or the Dvd may not be recognized.
Same for some of the DVD's hacked to disable the original set-up, the later DVD may not work or be recognized.
Anyone who has tested this with the 2011-2012 version may be able to confirm this will not change or may have experienced the later DVD was not recognized ?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Default "the circa 2005 x 1791 hack"

What follows is my "story" regarding the 1791 hack available to the circa 2005 Nav discs. It seems that Land Rover either unintentionally or on purpose allowed a back door into the software within the early Nav discs.

The link below discusses the feature but briefly, in all? versions to access a diagnostic screen, one must push and hold a hidden screen button. That action would then yield a keypad on the display. One then had to input a three number code, 753, and that would provide access to various diagnostic info screens related to the NAV system.

On the circa 2005 Nav discs, with the engine running, if one instead pushed 1791, then one could exit the keypad screen and and go back to the Nav input screen. Now as long as the engine was running, one could input destinations etc including while the vehicle was in motion.

Upon engine shutdown, the 1791 feature would cease to function. Then after next engine startup, one would have to go thru the hidden button process again.

When I installed my 2012 disc, the 1791 feature was no longer available as the 2005 software was written over by the 2012 software, (as you said above). The 753 diagnostic function remained however.

I resolved the "Nav on the Move" concern re the 2012 DVD when I purchased my BlackBox Evolution software tool. As well as uploading "Clock on the Dash", plus the "3 Flash Signal Lights" feature, I also loaded the software for "Nav on the Move".

As that software load seems independent of the disc within the NAV unit, I anticipate that I will still have "Nav on the Move" with the installation of the 2015/16 DVD.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Alternative Engine Temp Reading

Last edited by bbyer; 07-01-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Follow the link or contact me directly about the update disk !

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...-2009-a-79048/

The following users liked this post:
cetteacher (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks to dijkvr. Ordered my Nav disk about a week ago, received today. Installed in 15 minutes before I even went in the house after work. It works great and has information that is pretty current.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bbyer, just wanted to say thanks for all the information I have learned from you in the one month since purchasing 2006 LR3 with 123,000 miles. Have been able to correct a lot of issues and proactively fix issues.

Vehicle is now named "Dinger" thanks to the constant alerts in the 2 weeks of ownership. Have driven the past few days about 300 miles with no alerts...

Seems like every forum I go to there is wisdom from you. I am very appreciative!

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Default New nav disc works in Western Canada

Yesterday I received dijkvr's Nav disc via Canada Post. I got it in less than two weeks so that is pretty good. I ordered the disc on May 21 and it was here May 31, only 11 days.

Even better news, is that the Polar Bears and Dragons in the uncharted regions of the previous disc for the most part have been replaced by roads plus evidences of an advanced civilization such as Starbucks and McDonalds.

A local ring road that is just being completed around our village is very much there, plus to my surprise, a real obscure almost trail called Cemetery Road that runs the backside of a local cemetery is also there - that did surprise me.

Also "Nav on the Move" still works with the new disc. This does not surprise me as I had previously enabled "Nav on the Move" via a software upgrade with my BlackBox Evolution. If you have a Gap IID, you can also do the upgrade.

If instead, you had previously the original circa 2005 DVD and used the 1791 hack, well you will lose that and short of the LR/BlackBox/Gap software upgrade, there is not much you can do about that.

To summarize the disc install procedure , either start the engine or at least turn the vehicle ignition on so the Radio/DVD/Nav powers up.

Then raise the drivers seat to full height and also run it full forward.
Have a flashlight handy and you will now see the DVD player under the seat on the carpet.

On the "outside door of the under seat area side", find the lock-unlock slide switch and with your fingers, unlock.

On the tranny tunnel side, there is an eject button so then push that and the current CD will eject. Again, fingers only as there is only that much room, remove the old DVD and push in the new one, shiny side down. Slide the lock slider back to lock and then reset the seat.

As you might gather, I am pleased with the new disc.

Quick Reply: LR3 Navigation Disc update?