LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr3 parking brake light

Hello I have a 2008 lr3 a few weeks ago a red park icon started flashing on the upper part of my speedometer its continuously flashing and sometimes when I start it I get the amber yellowish brake icon on in the middle gage with a triangle in a almost complete circle as well but usually if I turn it off and restart the car those two go away the vehicle does not seem to have any other effects from these lights the emergency brake does not seem to be engaged however when I turn the vehicle off I get a message saying the emergency brake is off

thanks for any help info ideals

Old 09-29-2021, 07:34 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Parking brake is drum brake inside the rear disc rotors. The plastic gears in parking brake servo is unfortunately a common failure and expensive repair. Best practice to replace the rear brake dust shields too if that are showing corrosion where the parking brake cable intersects.
Stay away from Atlantic British (aka https://www.roverparts.com/) for replacement - mine and others were missing parts that causes the replacement to immediately strip again. This created a situation where my truck was out of commission for over a month.

SOMEONE PLEASE create a simpler parking brake solution / cheaper repair option !!

Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Expensive? I dont see how, the hears have been available on their own for some time. What was missing from the AB replacement thought? Details required.

Anyway, we dont know for certain the gears in the module are the issues until looked at. Often the system itself is neglected and needs service/adjustment. It uses a setup that monitors tension on the cables, so if they are stretched, out of adjustment or the shoes are damaged it can cause faults. I personally have seen more issues with neglect/adjustment than damaged gears. Like any system, its needs maintenance - especially when as old as 2008.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

....and if the gears are failed doesn't the EPB usually howl like a banchee when applied?

Old 09-29-2021, 02:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Maybe, but two I took apart that howled, one being on my 2006, were just adjutant issues and the gears were fine. But when it happened I manually backed off and disabled the system. I *think* broken gear are more a result of a system being out of adjustment and then allowed to carry on enabled, where its constantly adjusting and banging up the gears. I dont think its the other way around, where the gears seem to fail for no reason and then cause issues. Basically, broken gears are a symptom of abuse not cause. But thats just a guess based on what I have personally seen.

edit: Oh, I will add that I plan to buy gears anyway and rebuild mine more as a matter of longevity/maintenance. Plastic gears are just silly in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (09-29-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:17 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Expensive? I dont see how, the hears have been available on their own for some time. What was missing from the AB replacement thought? Details required.
Looks like AtlanticBritish (aka roverparts) now sells a plastic gear replacement kit that wasn't available back when I replaced the entire $1000 servo actuator - VERY NICE! My incident goes back a couple years, but my recollection is that replacement servo, cables, and dust shields didnt come with a rubber grommets for where the cable passes though the brake rotor dust shields. This allowed the EPB brake cable to quickly get out of adjustment after just a couple uses and strip the gears again. AB support initially insisted that kit came with the grommets and the mechanic missed them...AB sent a bag of grommets and weeks later a 2nd servo kit which was also missing the grommets, and then after about a month admitted that several customers were having same issue with EPB replacements. AB worked with us slowly and surely made it work, but took over a month of my truck apart in a shop. EPB in general is just a PITA.