LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:39 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)

[&:] I've spent the past three weeks researching a Bluetooth phone to install in my 2006 LR3. The vehicle came with the factgory installed PTI fittings in the center console, however, you still need to purchase (about $250) a cradle that matches the phone you are using. There are several variations. The deal is that if you want the phone to attach to the antenna lead for the LR3 you get better reception and range, plus you get the phone's directory displayed on the navigation screen in the dashboard, you need the hookup in the console.

If you don't have navigation etc a regular Bluetooth phone should work as a cell phone.

The only places, so far, that I've found the cradles are:

http://www.bcdonline.com/Land%20Rove...d%20Phones.htm or 562.500.1161

http://wireless4landrover.com/ or 800.266.7746

The Nokia 6230 seems like my best choice since I want to also take the phone to Cambodia this summer so I need a triband GSM unlocked with 900/1800/and 1900 frequencies, if you plan on just using it in the U.S. then an 850/1800/1900 would be better.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks all for your feedback.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 AM
8th Gear

Bluetooth phone update!

On 2/23/06 in an earlier posting I wrote about trying to find a cradle for adding a Bluetooth phone (Nokia 6230) to my LR3. Today it all came together and it works great. With the efforts of my dealer service representative and parts guy the missing link was installed.

The Rover came with factory installed Personal Telephone Integration System ($400.00 - window sticker price). After talking with the service rep at LR and with sales folks at the two URL's in the earlier posting, I decided that the Nokia had the best system integration as well as the features I wanted for use in SE Asia (GSM unlocked tri-band phone). I purchased the phone new online and bought a SIM chip that I can switch out as needed overseas. As a newer production run of the phone, the operating system did not match the recommended or guaranteed one in the Rover documents. The new phone is 05.50 op sys (documentation talks about 5.35 as only op sys that will work).

When I checked back with the dealer yesterday, the parts guy told me that LR did not actually list a cradle for the LR3, although there obviously is a connector in the center console. He had a cradle listed for the Range Rover and Sport that was for a Nokia 6230, howewver, and if I came by we could test the fit.

The cradle is LR part number XVE500021 Description Holder Assy - M

It clipped onto the underside of the cover on the center console, and does not interfere with the electric cooler or the tray that sits on top of the cooler.

The phone had previously been paired as a freestanding Bluetooth item, so when it was clipped into the cradle, it was recognized immediately. After a few minutes of experimenting, the sales rep found that the button just to the right and above the channel selector **** on the radio, which has a small phone handset icon on it, activated the phones directory through the radio display (I had mistakenly expected it to come through the navigation display). You or a passenger can scroll through the directory, and by pressing the button it will dial for you. The voice commands also work so the driver can say "Phone call (name) or (number)" and it works well.

The Rovers antenna also is connected via the cradle so you get better reception and sending in weak cell areas as well as having the phone battery charged. Removing the phone is easy, you press a button on the cradle and the phone pops out.

Thanks to the service rep and parts guy, it works as advertised and is very convenient.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

Unfortunately my 05' LR3 V8 LE needs to be fitted with a PTI system. Once fitted, any bluetooth phone with 5.35 op sys should work w/out the cradle. Based on your findings, the phone icon button only works if you have a cradle correct?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:10 PM
4th Gear

gbh! I am assuming that the additional kit you are referring to is the cradle. Are you able to use the phone icon button? Are you happy with the system?

let us know! Thanks

Old 03-26-2006, 03:59 PM
8th Gear

Good question socalr3. I'll check it out after Monday and post a reply.. The LR3 is up on jack stands right now and I don't want to be climbing around in it at the moment.

We were out on a trail Saturday and lost a tire. The spare, as it turned out, was a doughnut spare and only lasted about a mile before it blew out. Luckily there was another LR3 in the group and we made it home on his full sized spare. We're all trying to figure out why one LR3 had a full-size wheel and spare and the other did not. Luckily there was a dealer rep with us who was already on the phone and checking it out as we drove back to the city.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Overlanding

This past weekend I installed the Bluetooth phone kit in my '05 HSE. It works great! It paired with my Motorola, my wife's Nokia, and my son's Samsung. The voice activated dailing works as well as the other voice activated functions. No, you can't dial from the radio key pad or access the SIM directory but, it mutes the radio, reception was great, and there are no hassles with wires.

The self installation is not too difficult, just a knuckle buster removing some of the dash panels and the center consol cover. The "special tool" needed to remove the air bag is a coat hanger with 1/4" right angle bend.

The kit does not come with the base for the phone dock and the parts apparently are not available from the dealer. If fact, the instructions tell you to leave the wiring harness for the phone dock wrapped around the shifter.

A nice feature to add is a hard wired charger for your phone. Splice it onto the wires for the cigar lighter. Disassemble your charger so that you're sure to get the polarity correct.

If your going to attempt this install yourself, leave me a post if you have any questions.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

im confused here could use some help. purschased an 06 lr3 with blue tooth. i was told the cradle was not changable. i would kill to get my palm treo to intergrate with the antena. any suggestions

Old 07-29-2006, 05:09 PM
8th Gear

Hi gpag,

The cradle is actually the adapter that one needs to go between the PTI connector in the middle armrest and whatever Bluetooth phone device you want to use or have already. When I purchased my 2006 LR3 it already had the wiring installed in the underside of the lift up part of the center console. I still needed an adapter.

After weeks of searching and calling around, the correct part was at the Rover dealer. To match with a Nokia it was XVE 500021. Unfortunately, from my experience, there wasn't much further development, i.e. adapters for other phones. There appears to be one for just one or two phones in a couple of different brands, but not all models are supported. You will have to look around to see if your phone is supported with an available cradle.

The adapter not only connects the correct wires between the plug in the console and the phone, but also physically accepts the phone and holds it in place.

If your phone device is Bluetooth capable, many of the functions will work without the adapter, officially described as a holder Assembly - mobile phone.

I've just returned from a trip through a part of the Grand Canyon and the Nokia in the cradle got a signal (because of the antenna connection I believe) while my wife's Nokia (not connected to the antenna), could not. The improved signal ability was a part of why I went for the cradle, even though it was a hassle to find.

While we are driving, tghe passenger can easily use the radio readout to find numbers that are stored in the phone and make calls, although the voice activation and calling through the LR3 also works unless there is a lot of road or wind noise such as on rough roads.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM
4wd Low

Just to be certain, are you guys talking about using a bluetooth capable phone in a vehicle that did not come with the bluetooth option? I did not get the option, but have bluetooth phones. When I hit the phone button on the dash it says "no phone fitted". What are my options, or how do I fit the phone.

Quick Reply: LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)