LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)

Does anyone have problems with pairing PTI system with Bluetooth phone? I have PTI installed in my LR3, and I tried a lot to pair it to my Nokia 6230i using diffrent guides from car and from http://www.landrover.com/us/en/Owner.../Bluetooth.htm . But phone finds nothing, and radio sas "No phone fitted". I tried my phone's bluetooth on others LR3 and it worked. So i think that in my car bluetooth is not activated.
Please help! My dealer is 300km away. Maybe someone knows helpful combination of button pressing on radio to activate Bluetooth on LR3?
Thank you
PS Sorry for my English.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
4wd Low

Hello KWLR3

I have the same '05 HSE and I'm trying find the Bluetooth solution. I looked at the third party Bluetooth like parrot, however I would like the have the factory original installed. I read your posting and from this what I read it looks like you installed one. Can you let me know what did you installed was it factory default, where did you buy it, how much you spent, how hard was it to remove the covers on the dashboard. I know this is lots of questions but if you could help me on some of them that'll be great.
Thank you for your help.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Overlanding

Just to be clear. The '05 HSE does have a radio with the a little phone icon above the right radio ****, it does not have the two switches on the right side of the wheel (little red and green phone icons). It does not have the phone "docking station" undet the center arm rest lid (this is not to be confused with the "phone adapter", that's another dealer part that adapts a few specifec phone models to the docking staion). If that's your situation then we're at the same start point.

You need to buy the Bluetooth phone kit from the dealer. This will set you back about $500.00. The kit includes a wiring harness, two little electronic boxes, remote microphone, and a new right side horn switch with the two phone buttons. The difficulty of the installation is removing some of the interior panels. The whole interior just snaps together but, you'll think that your going to break something before it comes apart. The instructions are barely adaquate. There are two places that refer you to the factory manual, neither is neccessary. If you decide to go this route, and have any specific questions, post and I'll reply.

Here is what you end up with: a system that will pair with Bluetooth phones and allow hands free answering, the abillity to do voice activated dialing, store about 20 phone numbers, and the obvious radio mute. It WILL NOT allow the use of the liitle phone button on the radio and SIM card information will not appear on the radio. The kit does not come with the center arm rest docking station and from what I have been told, that part is not available. This means essentially that an '05 HSE will never be able to use the radio phone function

The intersting fix would be this. The wiring harnes has the connection for the docking station. Get a data cable and wiring diagram for your cell phone and splice that to the wiring harness. Now, no need for the docking station or the phone cradle adapter. I would love to hear if anyone has gone this route.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:16 AM
4wd Low

Hello and Thank you for the fast response.

I'm only interested with the Bluetooth option, so I could be able to answer phone call and place the call using the two green and red buttons on the right side of the wheel. With this option installed would I be able to use any phone options? (chose the contact from the phone book?). You wrote that the kit from the dealer runs for about $500 - Is this just the part or includes the installation? I ask couple different dealers and they told me it will cost me about $1000. Also does this installation would require a software upgrade?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Overlanding

The $500.00 price tag is just for the parts. It would take the dealer about 2 1/2 hours to install so, another $500.00 sounds like about what that would cost. After the installation, there is no need to do a software update. You will not be able to access contact information you have stored in your phone. The voice activated system is very similier to the other voice activated functions, the same lady who who ignores your voice commands is equally adept at miss directing your calls. (just kidding, it's pretty reliable, somtimes confuses "mom" with "home")

I think this system is bassically a Nokia hands free kit which sells for aout $150.00. The extra $350 for the LR kit gets you the new horn switch. After installing, this kit, my opion is that it's worth the $500 but not $1000.00.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

I just read your post. I'm not sure how you getting all of those info but it is really good and useful - Thank You very much

Ok, you confirm my thoughts that probably dealer charges around $500 just for the installed. The next question I would have if I be able to install this part myself and most of all would I be able to purchase this part from the dealer without buying the installation? I have some car mechanic background and also I come from electronic and computer world and depending on difficulty of the installation I probably would be able to install it myself - now I would really depend on your info and comments to find out how hard would be to install such a system. The most concerns I have is to taking off the dashboard parts. I did that once before on different car and you have to be really careful to not to brake all of the clips that hold each dashboard piece. I tried to find out some diagram/drawings showing how everything is clipped together but I was unsuccessful.

If you could help me with above issue I would really appreciate. I hope I will be able to get this running in not time, that's why I thanks for all your help.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Overlanding

Uh, I ask a lot of questions? I don't see any reason why a dealer would not sell you the parts without the install. If one dealer says no, call another. I doesn't take a computer backgound or much of car mechanic background to do this install. It's like installing a car stereo. In fact, I checked with a local stereo installer and they said the job would be pretty easy, that's why I decided to do it myself. Go out to your truck and try to remove the panel that surrounds the radio and air con controls. If you can get that off, your about one third of the way into seeing all of the teardown.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
4wd Low

Thank you for your info.
I called dealer and they charge about $630 for the part. I think will get this however I also looked and the Bluetooth from Parrot and this kit offers viewing and dialing from the phone contact list. The only downside of the Parrot is that I would have to install another small LCD display somewhere on dashboard, and also as of right now Parrot doesn't have a hares for LR3 so I wont be able to mute the radio(which I really like and want) and use onboard microphone. The good part about it is that you could by Parrot for about $170 - and it gives much more options then LR3 factory kit. Do you know if Land Rover plans to upgrade if it is doable the operating system so receiving call and contact list would be displayed on (eg.GPS) screen using just the Bluetooth not the cradle?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Overlanding

I'm not familiar with the Parrot system and I seriously doubt your going to see any upgrades come from Land Rover. I personaly would not want to mount another display screen on the dash but, you should be able to mute the radio. I don't have a wiring diagram on this system but, most new car stereos have a mute function built in. A wire from the hands free system will plug into the the radio and cause it to mute, You should be able to also use the front speakers to hear calls. Your need to mount another microphone but I'm sure that comes with the system.

I'm partial to Land Rover equipment even though there might be a somewhat better (and much cheaper) after market solution.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 PM
4wd Low

You would know by any change where I could get some diagrams or pictures how to remove the radio console covers and the steering wheel.

Also do you know if there is some kind of Ipod integration kit similar to what BMW have where you can operate Ipod on your radio?

Quick Reply: LR3 Phone Enable (bluetooth)