LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 in Snow Conditions - NYC Today - All Pear Shaped

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Snow tires are the key. I used to run BFG A/Ts on my rodeo all year long and they have a pretty aggressive tread. Used to get stuck in my own driveway in heavy snow. Switched to proper snow tires for the winter months last year and couldn't believe the handling difference on snowy roads. Haven't been stuck since.

As soon as I can I'm going to ditch the Goodyear Wranglers on the LR3 in favor of the Pirelli snow tires for next season. The Wranglers are HORRIBLE in snow.

BTW- it's not the tread pattern that's the secret to snow tires, though it's part of the advantage. The real advantage lies in the rubber compound.

Dave

Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member, on 3rd LR3, in Long Island, 25k per year. and my Kumhos are the best 'all round' tire so far and best value. But due to change soon. So based on all comments, is there a tire worth upgrading to which gives better snow/ice traction, without giving a horrible road ride? No off road needed, but we do get the 8 inch storms plus take several ski trips to Vermont. Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andyskitmore
New member, on 3rd LR3, in Long Island, 25k per year. and my Kumhos are the best 'all round' tire so far and best value. But due to change soon. So based on all comments, is there a tire worth upgrading to which gives better snow/ice traction, without giving a horrible road ride? No off road needed, but we do get the 8 inch storms plus take several ski trips to Vermont. Thanks
There is another thread on this forum about Bridgestone Duelers. I have them and they perform great... others seem to agree as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

I have a 2005 LR3 V8 SE that came with Goodyear Wrtangler tires and even though I never got to use them in snow, they were horrid on the freeway with tons of road noise. However, very soon after getting the LR3, I was browsing ebay for some heavy duty floormats and I came across a listing for LR3 tires. Someone was selling brand new all season tires for 400 bucks for all four. These were a Nexen Roadian product that I had never heard of. Even though I would never have tried an off brand tire on my BMW just because I drive it harder, I thought that it was worth a shot for the LR3.
These tires were so so quiet and then in the winter of 2008 when the northwest winter made the news just like northeast winter is making the news this year, these tires were awesome. Seattles response to the snowstorms was so bad that the mayor was pushed out of office in a few months because of that- freeways and streets did not get plowed for days! I was unstoppable with those tires and my newfound confidence in hill descent control.
Althought I have never strayed away from Michelin or Bridgestone before I would really recommend this tire for the LR3. Its freeway performance is also fantastic. When it came time to replace tires again after about 45000 miles, I had a hard time finding that tire locally but I found it at one huge independent tire warehouse a few miles away and got the set installed for less than 900 bucks. Works for me!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, I say tire issue as well. You can put M/S (commercial, street tires) only any amazing 4x4 and get stuck. I've NEVER had an issue with my LR4 is any conditions. It's an amazing vehicle.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM
4wd High

I'm in Buffalo, NY with a 2005 LR3 V8

Last winter I didn't switch to winter tires and used my Scorpion Zero's. They were horrendous in the winter, but luckily the Buffalo winter laster year was mild.

So this winter, I went with the Pirelli Ice/Snow and we've had a few good storms so far. I'm completely confident with these tires in any amount of snow. I was also using the regular traction, didn't need to switch to ruts or snow.

I was able to go through unplowed roads with 18-24 inches of snow, going around abandoned vehicles with no issues. I couldn't be happier with my tire purchase.

I even think it handles better than my '97 Wrangler 6-cyc I replaced it with.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If they make your size, look real closely at the Good Year Dura Trac's, they are the best thing going right now for snow and ice and are perfect for all you off road trips.