LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must-do checklist for new LR3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Must-do checklist for new LR3 owners

As a new LR3 owner, I've spent the past few weeks scouring the internet trying to figure out if there is any ticking time bomb I can head off. Is there any list of things that should be fixed/checked/modded right off the bat that new owners can reference? The few things you should absolutely do immediately to prevent larger headaches in the future.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Found the front differential breather was the old style and ordered the updated part. Diff and transfer case fluids were changed recently.
- Taped up the windshield cowl with electrical tape (was only bowing slightly) and checked both foot wells for moisture after hard rain to make sure my A pillars aren't leaking.

Anything else relatively simple and preventative?

Old 11-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

there really needs to be a sticky for this stuff because maybe once a week I see posts like this . You have good stuff listed.

I'd add:

sunroof drains
PCV valve maybe
air compressor dryer
lower control arms

Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

If you guys put together a decent start I will make a sticky post with the info in one post at the top that we can update. Links to how to threads would be great to for the items and standard repairs

Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

I'll add some things to the list and would be happy to try to do a few write-ups if the thread gets "stickied."

Must dos:
- Change front and rear differential fluids (already listed)
- Change transfer case fluid (already listed)
- Update front differential breather with new model (already listed)
- Change PCV valve (already listed)
- Change plastic coolant bleeder tee
- Change or at a minimum purchase a replacement brake light switch and keep it in the car
- Replace EAS dryer (or just the desiccant) if compressor is older than 4 years (already listed) - if replacing desiccant, make sure to clean filters as well and inspect the dryer cap for hairline cracks
- Immediately start applying some sort of non-greasy protectant to dash and cross your fingers that you won't get freaking cracks
- Clean Mass Air Flow sensor
- Clean throttle body/butterfly valve
- Inspect/replace air filter and cabin air filter
- Change engine oil
- This is just me, but I always change the brake fluid after purchasing a car. This is one of the most overlooked maintenance items with vehicles and I've seen some brake lines in terrible condition because of it. I try to change the fluid every 3 years. Make sure replacement fluid is a low viscosity fluid - I use pentosin super dot 4 lv fluid.

Must checks:
- Check upper tailgate strut mounts on the car frame (the nuts on these loosen over time and it's a HUGE issue if they unscrew themselves and drop down inside the frame). Tighten if necessary.
- Check windshield cowling for warping (already listed)
- Check EAS leakage by raising to off-road height, removing fuse (I always forget which number it is... 23?) and letting car sit for 24 hours. See if any corners drop and assess whether valve blocks may need replacing - better to address this early rather than put excess wear and tear on compressor
- Inspect plastic sunroof tracks for cracking - not much you can do about it, but good to know their condition
- Check operation of spare tire winch to make sure it's not frozen

** Perhaps controversial, but I also think transmission fluid should be changed if it's never been done. Filter replacement would be a good idea if car has 150,000+ miles on it, but is a huge pain in the ***. I did a write-up on here somewhere about how I flushed my tranny fluid.

That's all I can think of for now.

The following 3 users liked this post by cmb6s:
ArmyRover (11-04-2015), djkronik57 (11-07-2015), morrisdl (11-09-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think Tom may have already got something along the lines of what you guys are thinking. Perhaps a better name for the thread and you guys can start adding to it..

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...section-71310/

Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I think Tom may have already got something along the lines of what you guys are thinking. Perhaps a better name for the thread and you guys can start adding to it..

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...section-71310/
Almost...that's more of a general tech index and while it is very helpful, I was thinking specifically for new owners or even existing owners to catch common issues. Maybe just separating that thread into a "For New Owners" and "General Tech" sections? Not sure how possible that is.

These additions to the list are extremely helpful, looks like I've got a few more must do's thanks to cmb6s!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'm tracking with what your after. I'll start it up tonight and let the Moderators know that they will be welcome to edit and add to the post (especially Tom)

Old 11-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I think we need a seperate sticky not in the tech section "what to look for when buying a lr3"

When it comes to the how to stuff I just ad a link to the tech section sticky, if I sticky all the how to threads individually there will be pages lol

Last edited by TOM R; 11-05-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Reinforcing the tail-gate release mechanism and/or adding a manual release cable

The following users liked this post:
morrisdl (11-09-2015)