General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Owner 05 LR3 checklist

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner 05 LR3 checklist

Hello,

I just purchased my first Land Rover. It is a 2005 LR3 with 111,500 miles. I will be using this vehicle in the woods and putting about 100 highway miles a day on it. For me this is a big change because I've had Ford F150's my whole life. My last one just reached 300,000 miles. I look forward to learning about the Land Rovers and putting it to the test as an everyday vehicle. I have a couple questions as a first time owner.

1) What kind of service needs to be done at a dealer and what kind would be O.K. for a conventional shop to do? I can do some work my self such as filter changes, oil changes, disc brakes etc....maybe even change the plugs and coils if they are not much different from F150's.

2) With 111,500 miles already on this LR3 what things should I check for? I've no idea how to tell if I'm on the factory air suspension or front end. If I'm on the original front end shouldn't it be past the expected life span of the air suspension? Should I just drive it until a problem presents itself? I did buy it from a dealership so it was inspected for sale.

I would like to put a brush guard and more aggressive tires on it but I don't want to spend that money up front just to find it something needs replacing right away.

The only two things I have discovered that are wrong with it are the sunroof leaks into the floorboard and the passenger door will not lock or unlock automatically. I will start with getting an air compressor to the sunroof drainage lines and probably a new door switch.

Anything I am overlooking? Thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change the oil in your diffs asap would be my first starting point...

Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Overlanding

It looks like i'm getting the trial by fire intro to rovers. I took my Lr3 in to a local independent mechanic to service the differentials and found out the rear has that "slight whining". They told me that it sounds like its in the begining stages of the pinion bearings going out. So that will be my first project with this. They believe that its early enough to save the rear end by just replacing the bearings. Cost was estimated at $800.

After this I will go ahead and service all the other fluids as well as the spark plugs and airfilter. Then I will check the front end bushings and replace if needed. That should get me a clean slate to work off of.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Overlanding

Good morning,
I just purchased my 2007 LR3 @97K miles over the 4th holiday.
Had to replaced the air compressor for the suspension fault already at the tune of $1500 at the dealership.
It will be a love/hate relationship with this car I think?
Brakes were quoted to me at $970. I will bring the OEM rear brake kit (400) to my indi mechanic to put in for less than $100 (labor).
Dealership has me upset as I just found the Compressor kit online for $729 - dealer charged $1034!!!

Love the car - hate the cost.
Mai

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Overlanding

Yeah I'm glad I like to work on my vehicles. It's part of the adventure. I'm having trouble finding just the internals for my rear diff so I may have to get a re-manufactured eventually. I have an independent mechanic that can install it since that's past my skill level.

As far as differential fluids go I can't seem to find the recommended Castrol SAF XO anymore. I'm about to try the Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75w-90. That's supposed to be a good replacement. I'd like to find out more before I buy. I've already learned to stay away from the dealers if you are out of warranty. I always try to buy parts myself and get a good mechanic to install them if I'm not able. Get used to ordering parts instead of going to the local auto parts store.