Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Disco II purchase checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Disco II purchase checklist

I'm buying my Dad's '99 Disco II. It's in great shape and was always maintained by the dealership through the end of the factory warranty and through and independent Rover mechanic since that time. It has 94,000 miles on it now.

My Dad will be driving it out to me from San Diego to Minneapolis in April, and I want to put together a check list of things I am going to try to talk him into doing as part of the deal. I have not approached him with my counter-offer yet, so I want to be armed with some insight.

First off, the price ($8k) is pretty fair I think for this very clean Disco.

I am thinking I'll ask him to buy plug wires (the good ones from Rover Connection), 02 sensors (4 of them), and have the U-joints all inspected and replaced if they are worn. In addition, I am going to ask him to flush the engine, run some Seafoam through it and give it a general once-over. Mike helped me out with a basic checklist a few weeks ago. I can do the labor on the plug wires, 02 sensors, etc. I'd want the U-joints done out there however before the 2000+ mile drive!

What I know about the vehicle is that one spark plug wire was replaced at some time. It was probably burned and shorting or something. His independent tech suggested to him a year or so ago that he replace the U-joints as preventive maintenance because of the possibility of it taking out the transmission, but my Dad opted to wait on that until they started showing signs of wear. He was quoted $400 for that job by the tech. And I know that 02 sensors are good for about 100k miles, and that's why I'm thinking about asking him to buy those for me. Also, the 3 dash lights come on along with a few beeps once every few days, but ABS/ Traction control/ Descent control all work fine. His tech troubleshooted this system but either didn't find anything or said it would be expensive to fix. My Dad has lived with it for a few years and there have been no problems - just occasional dash lights. I'm thinking I'll save this for my own troubleshooting and learning experience once I have the Disco here.

Anything else that sticks out as being important to consider? I don't want to nickle and dime old Dad, but I'd like to cover some of the basic maintenance items coming up, and ask him to cover the cost of the parts.

Thanks,

Craig

Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: '99 Disco II purchase checklist

Whoa dude, that is cold ! Maybe you ought to consider buying from a non-relative.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Nothing cold about it. Yes buying inside family can cause problems but there are issues that need to be looked at on this truck and the asking price, although I hate to say it, is a little high.
Craig let me know what happens.
Mike

Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Overlanding

Not cold, just want both of us to get a fair deal. He's not cutting me any huge breaks for being family, and I don't want to pay much more than fair market value.

Mike, by the way what do you think it is worth from the sound of it? Based on comparables I've seen on Ebay, Craigslist and in my local paper, my Dads is about $1000 to $1500 lower than equivalent vehicles in mileage and year.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

I have seen a few with lower mileage sell on the East coast for up o $1000 less, but the people who bought them search high and low to find them.
Just got of E-Bay, take a look at a couple of the Discos and prices coming of the East coast today.
Mike

Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Overlanding

I saw a few of the ones you are talking about Mike. Noteably there are one or two that sold for the low to mid 5k range, but the East cost Discos in general are selling for between $7k and $7.5k with similar mileage. I have to wonder though, coming from the East coast, there's likely to be more of an issue with rust and underbody corrosion, even though the ads say "rust free". I'd also have to figure in time off work to go look at it, airline ticket one or both ways and gas on the way back home if I drove it, or the cost of having it transported. I'd guess all of the above would bring me close to the $1000 difference in price.

My old man is driving his Disco out here free of charge as he and his wife are making a post-retirement road trip out of it. That means he's paying for the gas, and for some basic maintenance before he leaves. I also didn't mention earlier that he recently installed brand new 18" tires, rotors and pads.

As I'm interested in your thoughts (or anyone elses) I'll ask: To you, is knowing the history and overall reliability of a vehicle, plus knowing that it comes from a very dry climate (zero rust) worth a dollar amount over a vehicle with some unknowns? Don't be afraid to offend me --- you won't. I'm not emotionally tied to this vehicle yet.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm glad you didn't get offended by my remark. I've been involved in intra-family auto transactions before though, and I'd advise you to go in with open eyes. If you decide to buy the truck, as you sound like you want to, resolve not to let it affect your family relationships. Maybe this sounds obvious, but it has happened - maybe it's worse with in-laws ... I won't go there. []

Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

History is worth some money, no doubt. I just wanted you to see some of the other prices in different areas of the country.
i know you are sold on your Dad's truck and I think it is safet to say you will get lots of good miles out of it.
Mike

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the viewpoints as they are appreciated. My Dad knocked off $500 for plug wires and 02 sensors, and anything else on my list, bringing it down to $7500. It will still be delivered as part of the deal.

Jim, I know what you mean by dealing with family and the potential for things getting touchy. My Dad reminded me as he lowered the price to cover some of my items of concern that it is "sold as is, no whining, no buyers remorse". Of course I know this, and my decision is my decision.

I think it will be a good truck.

Craig