LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the club

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:22 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to the club

Hi Folks,

About a month ago, after several months of research and searching for the right vehicle, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2005 LR3. The information on this and other forums was amazingly helpful in teaching me what to look for in a used rig, how to think about LR3 ownership, and did a lot to convince me that this is the right sort of vehicle for me. Based on the advice here and elsewhere, I did a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle, found that some of the reliably problematic issues had already been dealt with (control arm bushings, sunroof drains), and the LR indy mechanic who looked at it said that it was in remarkably good shape for its age. I've absolutely loved the vehicle so far, bought an IID tool right away, and have been having fun learning about operating and working on the vehicle. A few days ago, I finally had the chance to take it out for some off-roading and was blown away with its ability to crawl over anything. Sleeping in the back in solitude under the stars was great! I did notice a new suspension knock partway through the 40 mile hardscrabble route, so I drove more cautiously the rest of the way. I'm suspecting sway bar bushings, but that's just a guess at this point.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who post to this site - your experiences and knowledge have been very helpful to this newcomer.

Here's a picture of the rig from my little adventure.

-Captain Sygo

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice! I just picked up a white 06. A lot of deferred maintenance on mine. Almost wish I had bought one in better condition. Oh well, what better way to bond than wrench on it. Sounds like sleeping in the wild with it works too!
Enjoy

Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geo
Very nice! I just picked up a white 06. A lot of deferred maintenance on mine. Almost wish I had bought one in better condition. Oh well, what better way to bond than wrench on it. Sounds like sleeping in the wild with it works too!
Enjoy
I think that the best way to bond would be a combo - wrenching in the wild. If that day comes for me, it'll mean I'm spending enough time off road!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

White is a great color on the LR3 congrats and enjoy

Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the fold and while you may soon have many sleepless nights and an empty wallet, like the rest, you will always have a big grin when you get to drive the LR3, especially when other lesser 4x4s struggle in snow, ice, water, mud and rocks, you can confidently waft pass them.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm really glad to have joined the fold - the LR3 is by far the most fun vehicle to drive I've ever owned. I suppose that's not saying much, given my past vehicles: '47 Ford 1 ton truck, '72 AMC Hornet, '79 Subaru GL wagon, '82 Pontiac K car, '83 AMC Concord, '85 Jeep Wagoneer Ltd, '85 Ford Tempo, '89 Ford Taurus wagon, '89 Toyota 2wd truck, '98 Subaru Legacy wagon, and '04 VW Eurovan camper. Maybe I should be saying that it's great to finally have a car that's fun to drive!

-Captain Sygo