LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and need AC help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and need AC help!!

Hello from ATX. I have a 2006 LR3 with AC problems. Replaced the blower motor as well as the resistor and still, nothing comes from the vents. I can, however, hear the compressor kick in when I switch it to cool.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Can you hear the fan running? Blower relay, plus blower control module (it takes an electrical signal that makes it vary the speed of the fan).... and there are duct motors to shift air flow.

From the shop manual - and you can download the whole thing at links below...

The blower is installed in the air inlet duct, below the cabin air filter, and consists of an open hub, centrifugal fan powered
by an electric motor. Operation of the blower is controlled by the ATCM, using the blower relay in the Battery Junction Box
(BJB) and the blower control module. The blower control module is installed in the air inlet duct downstream of the blower,
where any heat generated during operation is dissipated by the air flow. A wiring harness on the air inlet duct connects
the recirculation door motor, blower and blower control module to the vehicle wiring.
When the blower is required, the ATCM energizes the coil of the blower relay. The energized blower relay supplies battery
power to the blower motor, which is connected to ground through the blower control module. The speed of the blower is
controlled by the blower control module, which regulates the blower motor voltage in response to a Pulse Width
Modulated (PWM) signal from the ATCM. To vary the blower motor voltage the ATCM varies the duty cycle of the PWM
signal.
When the blower is in the automatic mode the ATCM determines the blower speed required from the comfort algorithms.
When the blower is in the manual mode, the ATCM operates the blower at one of seven fixed speeds as selected on the

control panel. For additional information, refer to
Control Components (412-04 Control Components)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the prompt response! It does sound like there is a charge kicking off but there is no sound or movement from the blower fans (front or back). I went to a local auto AC repair shop and he "diagnosed" it as the resistor and blower motor at $700+. So I acquired the parts and did it myself. The original parts looked no worse for the wear so maybe I'm just out $150 as opposed to $700 but it still doesn't be me and AC. The compressor will engage and the line starts to frost so it seems that the AC controls are communicating...

Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
8th Gear

*"...still doesn't give me any AC"

Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The control head sends a pulse width signal to the power module, which drives the fan at variable speeds. There is no resistor like in old three speed fans. So - any volts to the module?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 PM
8th Gear

Looks like its the control module...

Any suggestions as to where I may find one reasonably priced?
Part# JFC500970