LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to lr3 have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to lr3 have some questions

I have an 06 that has 49000 on it and has no navigation. My question is it says that it can be upgraded to sirrus radio. Does this sound right since it has no nav? Also what is the biggest tire you can put on it without rubbing? I am going to lift it up eventually but the wife wants to wait till its out of warranty. thanks for replies. Kevin

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Flyin2jz
I have an 06 that has 49000 on it and has no navigation. My question is it says that it can be upgraded to sirrus radio. Does this sound right since it has no nav? Also what is the biggest tire you can put on it without rubbing? I am going to lift it up eventually but the wife wants to wait till its out of warranty. thanks for replies. Kevin
....well, let's welcome ourselves to this club, shall we? I just got my 2006 LR3 delivered Saturday, so I'm pretty good about the cosmetics, but can't give a hint about electronics yet.

Mine is a base model (hopeful that less fluff=less R&M). At 118/K miles and from the Northeast, it should be a rust bucket on the way to the morgue, right?

The past two days have changed the under-carriage from mild to mid-range surface rust to a truck that looks like it's never been in salt. OK

About your SIRIUS radio question, our Jag VDP came with a Sirius unit and we never use it. If it would be a benefit to you to have our unit removed and installed in your truck, PM me. What I'd like would be the OEM Jag door and you'd get all the Sirius that's in the car.

Attached Thumbnails New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-014.jpg   New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-018.jpg   New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-029.jpg   New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-031.jpg  

Last edited by bamaboy473; 05-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling

wow that looks great. How did you remove the rust? I havent looked really close yet and need to. I think the biggest thing that goes bad is the compressor from what ive read. I have a discovery 2 that i need to fix but my wife talked me into buying a new car. How many miles are on your truck. I wanted to have some warranty left in case it had issues. I believe the certified warranty takes it to 60k/6yrs so its up in august. I sure hope this thing is better in the snow that my disco 2. It seems like the disco 2 took forever to stop almost like the abs was slow. Honestly its a bit too cushy for me. I like to deer hunt and fish and i think im going to have to use the disco 2 for that. Not sure the wife would like me to stuff a deer in the back. I appreciate you offering the radio stuff. I think my radio has it equipped and i need to call to get it activated. A number popped up on the screen if i wanted to subscribe. I really like the xm radio in my wifes cadillac srx its a lifesaver going thru kentucky on vacations. Good luck with your truck. I think we are gonna need it...lol

Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Flyin2jz
wow that looks great. How did you remove the rust?
It's a 2006 with 118K miles that spent it's whole life in MA near the coast.

Step 1: I mixed up a gallon of Neutra Salt (or use Salt Away) and doused every bit of the under side with the solution before I did anything else. Let dry.

Step 2: Wire brush on a drill to remove as much as I could get to. Most weld lines had rust on the surface.

Step 3: repeat step 1 to neutralize what was now more exposed.

Step 4: Apply Rust Reformer in either liquid (brush on) or spray (for hard to get to places) It converts rust to a paintable surface and dries almost black.

You could stop right there and the underside would look good and most rust would be contained (or slowed down a whole lot)

Step 5: Spray flat black paint or truck bed liner. I didn't like the Undercoat products because they're pretty thick. The bed liner goes on like paint.

FWIW, I used the 2x8 wood slabs (that I use to change boat trailer tires) under the wheels. That extra 4.5" of height made it real easy to work.

Attached Thumbnails New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-032.jpg   New to lr3 have some questions-lr3-033.jpg