LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not quite California stop bug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Not quite California stop bug?

I've noticed since I got the LR3 that it seems to have a bit of slack in the drive train. It's most noticeable at slow speeds, like in traffic, when I'm on the gas and then off frequently. When I step back on the gas I get a clunk and sometimes a bit of a bang as it feels like the slack is taken up. It also happens doing a "California stop" but I would say it is worse at higher than almost-stopped-speeds.

Is this the California stop bug with the transmission, or should I start looking at the u-joints and driveshafts for play?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Normal behavior. Yes it's with the tranny, I wouldn't go looking for play unless something gets crazy worse.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Normal behavior?... Mine doesn't do it, at least not anymore.

Solved by cleaning electrical connections beginning @ battery. Originally I was tracing starting issues. After a few hours with a can of solvent and some q-tips, I was pleasantly surprised I somehow (Unintended) fixed something.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
Normal behavior. Yes it's with the tranny, I wouldn't go looking for play unless something gets crazy worse.
^ What he said.

In my RRS I reflashed TCM and ECM, both had ols software/strategy files. Cleared all memory and shift learning.

Good as new.

Now, my LR3 is being more stubborn.. I had the software checked and the guy said it was fine, but I don't think he even had enough time to check and he was in a rush that day. I'm pretty sure my LR3 modules are old because the bluetooth forgets my iPhone every time I turn the car off, and my RRS never did this (they're both '06s) and I've heard that the OLD BT module software had this issue.

Anyways mine does the same thing, and from the driving situations you described - it's almost certainly the clunky shift programming LR put on these.

I'd drive to the dealer and ask them to update ALL modules.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Now, my LR3 is being more stubborn.. I had the software checked and the guy said it was fine, but I don't think he even had enough time to check and he was in a rush that day. I'm pretty sure my LR3 modules are old because the bluetooth forgets my iPhone every time I turn the car off, and my RRS never did this (they're both '06s) and I've heard that the OLD BT module software had this issue.

Anyways mine does the same thing, and from the driving situations you described - it's almost certainly the clunky shift programming LR put on these.

I'd drive to the dealer and ask them to update ALL modules.
I don't know if you have an IID tool, but if so, you can check the software version of your TCM and update it (if necessary) all by yourself. Heck, I don't know how much the dealer charges to flash software, but if you DON'T have an IID tool yet, this may help justify purchasing one.

As far as your bluetooth problem... I've seen at least one other person on these boards that has experienced something similar. Don't know the cause and don't mean to try to sell anything outside the classifieds, but I've got a spare module sitting here with the newest bluetooth software loaded on it if you're interested.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by cmb6s
I don't know if you have an IID tool, but if so, you can check the software version of your TCM and update it (if necessary) all by yourself. Heck, I don't know how much the dealer charges to flash software, but if you DON'T have an IID tool yet, this may help justify purchasing one.

As far as your bluetooth problem... I've seen at least one other person on these boards that has experienced something similar. Don't know the cause and don't mean to try to sell anything outside the classifieds, but I've got a spare module sitting here with the newest bluetooth software loaded on it if you're interested.
Nah, I definitely would have resolved the issue by now if I had one. I came really close the other day when I was deciding on a lift, but I decided to pick up the rhino rods instead so now I'm committed... mentally anyways. I wish they weren't so damn pricey!

Is the new module the D4 one? If I was going to swap it out I'd do the crazy D4 swap the Brits came up with over on disco3.co.uk. If you mess with enough stuff I think you can even dial-on-screen and do some other wild stuff.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Is the new module the D4 one? If I was going to swap it out I'd do the crazy D4 swap the Brits came up with over on disco3.co.uk. If you mess with enough stuff I think you can even dial-on-screen and do some other wild stuff.
Nope, but that's why I have a D3 module sitting around! I swapped in a D4 module a while ago. I did it to improve voice quality more than anything else, but I also wanted multiple phone numbers per contact to sync to the car (which I don't think the D3 module can do on any software version).

If you go that route, the hardest part is simply mounting the new module! There are no connections other than the fiber optic cable and the power leads. I picked up one of those little two pin power connector for computer internals (the kind that fits on the jumpers) and used it to provide +12v and ground to the new module.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Nope, but that's why I have a D3 module sitting around! I swapped in a D4 module a while ago. I did it to improve voice quality more than anything else, but I also wanted multiple phone numbers per contact to sync to the car (which I don't think the D3 module can do on any software version).

If you go that route, the hardest part is simply mounting the new module! There are no connections other than the fiber optic cable and the power leads. I picked up one of those little two pin power connector for computer internals (the kind that fits on the jumpers) and used it to provide +12v and ground to the new module.
Oh nice work! That's funny, I should have made the connection as to why someone would have a spare BT module sitting around.

Just saw your location, I work in Sterling - probably a few miles away.. small world!

Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh nice work! That's funny, I should have made the connection as to why someone would have a spare BT module sitting around.

Just saw your location, I work in Sterling - probably a few miles away.. small world!
Very cool! I'll have to keep a lookout for you. Chawton White is a nice color... incidentally, it's the color of our second landy.