LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes and air filter changes?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes and air filter changes?

Hi there!
I drive a 05 LR3, and typically get oil changes done at my local Ford dealership, I noticed the engine running a little rough every now and again and first thought was to check the air filter, sure enough, its the same one that was in the car from new judging by the date on the filter. What type of filter, and where can I pick it up(without going to an expensive LR dealer 2 hours drive away) and is it okay to have Ford do the oil changes? I haven't seemed to have had any issues with them but not sure if another place could do it better/cheaper. Ford Canada does my oil changes for $59.99 and includes tire rotation, and 83 point inspection. I use them for convenience because it's closest to my home, and they will take me anywhere should I need to go somewhere while my cars being serviced.

Anyway, figured I'd get some feedback and information

Unfortunately with higher gas and insurance prices I might have to get rid of my beloved LR3 soon, so maybe be for sale. Located in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Does 83 points include the air filter?

I am a bit puzzled as to how the original air filter could still be in a 2005 but maybe the air filter is not part of the 83 point inspection.

Mann and others make engine air filters suitable for the 4.4L Jag LR3 engine. I am confident that your Ford dealer has access to a suitable good filter, probably in the Ford Motorcraft line of parts. I think it might be time for a general tune up - spark plugs and the like as well.

I would say that if your Ford dealer has not yet broken the air compressor bracket when he put your 3 on the hoist to do the oil change, then he is a good guy- hence prize him.

If you look closely, you will see lots of Ford marked parts on your 3 as Ford owned Land Rover when your 3 was built. Tata of India, (World leaders in 3 Wheelers), now owns Land Rover however Ford is still building the engines and lots of the other stuff on all of the Land Rover line.

The Ford guys probably understand how the 3 is put together near as well as the Land Rover dealer as the 3 was I think the engineering test platform for lots of the future Ford branded products. Look at the Ford Flex as far as layout etc is concerned as an example.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see Buy Purolator Classic Panel Type Air Filter A35632 at Advance Auto Parts_____

Seems like something you could DIY with just a minor smudge to wipe off. If new to DIY under the hood, a box of disposable blue rubber gloves is quite handy.

Also, you should look at having the pollen filter changed out, it will block HVAC airflow and build up mold, etc. The you and the engine can enjoy fresh air.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Pollen/Dust and Odor link

Below is a discussion re the two kinds of interior air filter available for the heating / AC system in your 3. Those are the Pollen/Dust filter only and then Charcoal/Activated Carbon type that also removes odors as well as the dust and pollen.

If the engine air filter is in bad shape, then for certain the interior air filter needs replacement as well.

replacement pollen filter - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi dear i have a suggestion about. it Normally you should have it cleaned or replaced with every oil change,but everyone's opinion varies some shops offer this service when you get the oil changed because when you oil and air filter cleaned your whole vehicle run excellent.